Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Customised labels

Tim Newham's profile picture

28 June 2011, 4:06

Hello!

usual newbie disclaimer apologising if this is answered elsewhere but I couldn't find it easily.... I'm evaluating Mahara as a tool to use for medical doctors in the UK. I think the functionality is a great fit but the on-screen labels will cause them problems (they won't want to think of themselves as "students" for example). So: are the labels configurable using admin roles? Or would I need to engage a developer to change them? Or is this not possible at all?

thanks very much!

Tim Newham

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 June 2011, 4:34

Hi Tim,

This is pretty easy to do and there are two ways of doing it.

The easiest, and arguably best for your purposes, way of doing so is by creating a local language translation. There are instructions available at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php?title=Customising/Language_Strings but essentially, you need to find every occurence of the strings you want to change, and override those in the local directory. It's a little time consuming.

The other way would be to create a completely new language translation. This is probably not what you want as it would allow your students to switch back to the default English (International) translation.

I hope that this gives you some pointers in the right direction,

Andrew

Tim Newham's profile picture

28 June 2011, 4:40

Andrew that's great, thanks very much. Very clever!

Best wishes,

Tim

3 results