Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara 1.4 test site availability

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 June 2011, 9:58

Hi

We are currently working on version 1.2.4 but will be moving to version 1.4 in August when we move across to our external host. In the meantime I have been familiarising myself with the 1.4 version on the test site. http://master.dev.mahara.org/ . We have a conference coming up onthe 13th July in which we would like to have a portfolio page from the new version on display for academic staff to see. Will access still be available to the above on the 13th July.

Thanks

Elaine

François Marier's profile picture

16 June 2011, 19:08

Hi Elaine,

master.dev.mahara.org is not actually 1.4 but rather the latest development build. So a lot of the things you'll see there will only be available in Mahara 1.5. Also, it is a development server, so we can delete the whole site at any time if we need to. I wouldn't rely on data being there when you need it.

We'll be upgrading demo.mahara.org to 1.4 fairly soon so you might be able to use that. However note that the demo site is reset once a day. So it's good for showing off Mahara or trying out new things, but you can't really host anything on there.

So until we upgrade www.mahara.org to 1.4 (not sure yet when that's going to happen, we're hard at work on new 1.5 features at the moment), then you'd probably have to either setup your own test site or use a free portfolio hosting provider which has already upgraded to 1.4.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

17 June 2011, 14:43

Like Francois said, you could use a free portfolio site that has upgraded. I know we have upgraded foliofor.me which you could try.

Account deleted

20 June 2011, 3:45

Thank you so much for the link. I have just registered. Very good advice.

Regards

Elaine

Account deleted

20 June 2011, 5:58

I have started working on foliofor.me. Just a quick question, do you know if the Dashboard screen has been customised or if this is how version 1.4 actually displays. The part I am querying is the top part of the dashboard screen where there are separate boxes with access to different individual functions namely: My Profile, Blogs, Files, Views, Groups, Friends, CV/Resume and Settings.

I was familiar with the next section where functions are grouped together e.g.Create and Collect (develop your portfolio) - includes Profiles, Files, Resume and Journal from the development website.

Your advice on this will be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Elaine

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

20 June 2011, 7:32

Hi Elaine,

the logged-out and logged-in pages have been modifird to show the single boxes. This text is handled thru the admin area.

The next section wit hthe 3 great boxes is the original block whoch users can show or hide via their setting page.

Greetings from the Black Forest 

Heinz

Account deleted

20 June 2011, 9:01

Hi Heinz

Greetings and salutations from the UK.

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I am relieved as I have started working on some guidelines for using Mahara for our students for September but as I did not have access to a live copy of the new version I was basing it on the development version, although realised I would have to "tweak it" down the line as it was development only and not the final version. I notice in the single boxes you are using slightly different terminolgy to that used in the 3 big boxes. E.g. Blog vs Journal. Was this to assist original users with the transfer across to the new version.

Regards

Elaine

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

20 June 2011, 9:50

Hi Elaine,

please notice that I am nut bundled with  foliofor.me. I translate the German langpack. 

I think that foliofor.me uses the singel boxes because the users can hide the big boxes. Startes do not know where to switch them back again (xxx/account/)

If you are still looking for a mahara 1.4 site please pm me your email and I will create an account for you.

Cheers

heinz

Account deleted

20 June 2011, 10:36

Hi Heinz

I have set up a page on foliofor.me to show at the conference so I think that should be OK. But do appreciate your kind offer.

Many thanks

Elaine

Account deleted

20 June 2011, 14:53

Heh,

Thanks for answering the questions Heinz! :P

We customised the landing page in Mahara 1.2 when there was no instructional element to the Dashboard/Home page.

Now, the users I have spoken to quite like the big buttons... so we kept them there.

the terminology will transfer over eventually as well. (Blog to Journal etc.)

11 results