Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
MaharaDroid 1.7

Sigi's profile picture

18 April 2012, 16:42

Hi Kristina,

after successfully updating to Mahara 1.5 I have been trying to set up the mobile upload with Maharadroid both on my smartphone and my new eeePad .... the problem is, the token is being changed immediately with the first upload and then I cannot upload anymore from the other device with the same initial token.... each device generates its own new token.....  no way to make them keep the same....  so right now it looks as if I had to make a decision from which of the  mobile devices I want to make my uploads..... arrrghhh... or am I being stupid?

Thanks fo any hint or workaround!

SIgi

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 April 2012, 19:10

Hi Sigi,

Stupid? No .. you have found the limit of the token authentication. As you say, it assumes one device by nature. As the token is re-keyed per request any other device then has an invalid (old) token.

I'll raise this as an issue (it was waiting to happen .. lucky you ;).

Ideally I'd have time to look at the new fancy OAuth stuff that might be pluggable. I'll check back in with devs and see where that's at. Failing that I'm open to suggests from anyone on a work-around .. maybe one devive can make a QR code for the other to scan .. or bluetooth it across .. hmm .. thinking time.

Cheers,
Alan

Sigi's profile picture

19 April 2012, 6:36

Hi Alan,

thanks a lot for getting back on my problem immediately - you are just great you guys!!!!!! It makes me feel less stupid now ;-) -  strange enough it has happened a lot to me that I get stranded on such things and then quite often I find out later .... it is just a bug... so nice to know that I reached the limits of this feature ;-)  .... will have to make up my mind from which device I'll be uploading ... which basically is not a problem as you can reset the token at any time and pair the devices again...   might be other people's problem too so its nice to know that you are working on it.

Have a great day, cheers from Germany

Sigi

Account deleted

19 April 2012, 23:35

Hi Sigi,

No problem - the solution is actually (I think) quite simple and almost elegant (thanks to Richard M for this thoughts .. I give him credit for this).

Just allow more than one token. You could set as many as you like and any device that matches a token can re-key it .. they're re-keyed randomly so clashes are unlikely .. in the event that they did (or to start with you set the all to 'mysecrettoken') the first device would just use the first, one, re-key it, etc . Simple. The nice thing is no change to the app is required at all ;)

We have an idea on how to implement, changes to the auth method, user preferences screen and the mobile API to be able to support multiple tokens. Changes are not huge but it's stuff I'm not super familiar with so may be some time away unfortunately but in the pipeline.

Cheers,

Alan

Account deleted

19 April 2012, 23:37

p.s it would be cool to have a QR code on the user settings page so you could auto-configure the app (and sync the token at the same time)

Account deleted

16 May 2012, 18:46

Hi Sigi,

Just an update - a patch to the pieforms to support multiple fields has been committed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/997834). This will enable me to suggest a change the User settings page to allow more than one token.

Mahara 1.6 should be able to support multiple tokens for MaharaDroid and (in theory) PortfolioUp.

Cheers,
Alan

Sigi's profile picture

17 May 2012, 15:27

Hi Alan,

good news.. Solution is on the way :-)

Cheers

Sigi

Account deleted

19 April 2012, 0:07

Hey Sigi,

Some good discussions today on possible solution and general discussion of auth via mobile apps. Have some ideas in the pipeline to work with .. will distribute when I have something for tangible for all to review.

Cheers,
Alan

Account deleted

16 May 2012, 18:58

Hi Sigi,

I have just picked up on your point regarding upload to multiple Mahara sites. This is really is an issue for the on-device apps to be able to manage more than one account (e.g. Androids Account & Sync framework supports multiple accounts per app, etc). So as an ondevice feature it's something that may be picked up in the evolution of the apps themselves if there is demand from end-users. Nothing to do on the Mahara side to support this.

Cheers,

Alan

Account deleted

21 May 2012, 10:15

Hello Kristina, where I can find the option in mahara to set up a token.