Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
FreeMind mind map plugin

Conrad Lienhardt's profile picture

22 June 2011, 1:36

Hi Geoff

thanks for your reply and support.

Yes, I visited the admin page and there I installed the freemind plugin at first (under "Plugin Administration" and then I updated version.

Greetings to you at Mahara UK11
Regards,

Conrad

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

25 June 2011, 9:54

Hi folks

I have updated the FreeMind Flash plugin code

https://github.com/geoffrowland/mahara-artefact_file_blocktype_freemindflash

Works for me on Mahara 1.3.x and 1.4.0

As indicated previously, as well as installing artefact/file/blocktype/freemindflash (and contents) you need to edit artefact/file/lib.php, artefact/file/filetypes.xml, and artefact/file/version.php so that .mm files are recognised and handled properly.

Copies of these files are included in the download bundle, but as they may not match your particular version of Mahara, it is probably better to hand patch the changes into your setup. I'll look into a cleaner way of doing this in the future.

Of course, you will need a local installation of an up-to-date version of Adobe Flash Player and have this enabled for your browser,

On first embedding a FreeMind Flash mindmap, the 'No Flash' warning may display, though should be replaced with an interactive mindmap if you refresh your browser.

Let me know if this fixes things or if you still have problems.

Geoff

Conrad Lienhardt's profile picture

26 June 2011, 12:29

Hi Geoff

thanks a lot! The plugin now is working perfectly! Really an awesome plugin. Congratulation! Thanks again for your great support!

Regards,
Conrad

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

26 June 2011, 14:22

Hi Geoff,

Yes, the plugin is now working. Thanks for the update :) I'm using Mahara 1.4

--
Pungki Arianto 

Account deleted

22 June 2011, 19:47

Hi, I've just tried this plugin as well. I wasn't sure about the folder structure within the code download, but I followed the steps given and it seemed to add properly (The icon shows within my Files, Images, and Video tab, and other plugins still work).

However, when I use the plugin it includes my .mm file as a file for download and says No Flash. A page refresh does not remove the No Flash, and the file remains a downloadable link. On my first attempt to add the file through the upload feature of the plugin, it claimed that the file was not the correct format. Once uploaded though, the plugin allowed me to select the file.

Malcolm

Account deleted

23 June 2011, 21:29

Correction: The mm file uploads properly now, and is recognized, but the No Flash warning is persistent, and only a link is shown in the view.

Account deleted

27 June 2011, 7:00

It's now working perfectly on my Mahara, thanks for the plugin!

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

20 September 2011, 5:42

Hi Geoff.

We tested your plugin and have some troubles. The mind map shows correctly when a user is logged-in, but it doesn't show when the user isn't logged-in... The mind map itself is placed on a view/page that is publicaly available...

I've looked the source code, but it is the same whether the user is logged-in or not.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Gregor

PS: The plugin should also work for Freeplane (which is a fork of FreeMind), since it uses the same file structure and .mm extension... but I haven't tested it yet.

20 September 2011, 7:14

Hi Gregor

I have not noticed this behaviour but will investigate further. However, it is the start of my teaching so it may take me a little while.

Will take a look at Freeplane. I'm also on the lookout for something that does not depend on Flash or Java applets to display interactive mindmaps but still uses .mm format. Perhaps something in HTML5/JavaScript/SVG

25 September 2011, 13:18

Hmmm...

I can confirm the problem sharing Pages (Views) containing embedded FreeMind maps.

I am not entirely sure, but I don't think this was an issue when we first developed/released this plugin. Indeed, one reason for preferring Flash rendering over the Java applet was that Flash was less affected by security/ownership issues.

Still, we may have overlooked this.

Alternatively, Flash Player 'upgrades' in the meantime (I am currently on version 10.3.183.10) may have 'broken' things through security 'enhancements'

Will investigate further...  Frown