Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Embedded Media Block

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 March 2009, 11:54

I am having problems creating a embedded media block.

I am using version 1.1.2 hosted on siteground server. I have uploaded a .flv file. I would like to embed this in a block in my portfolio. When I try to create the block, it says that there are no artefacts found. When I try to click "browse", the screen dims and nothing happens.

I tried this on this server where mahara is hosted and having the same issue.

can anyone please help? Mahara is a great application but ability to play embedded media would be very beneficial.

Thanks so much.

Account deleted

10 March 2009, 20:59

Hi - I'm not sure, but there may be a few issues with the internal media blocktype in 1.1. What would help us debug the issue is if we could get a copy of your .flv file - is that possible? If you can, please send it to [email protected].
Account deleted

11 March 2009, 0:14

Thanks so much Nigel.

I am sending the FLV file to you right away.

Thanks again for all the terrific work. 

Account deleted

11 March 2009, 0:19

Hi Nigel,

Another related issue that I find is that embedded avi files can be played fine with Internet Explorer.

However Firefox cannot play embedded avi files inside embedded media block. 

Account deleted

11 March 2009, 1:19

Hi - some others have reported this, I think it's something to do with the Firefox plugin for playing AVI files. The one that ships with Firefox isn't so great, but the one that Microsoft ship from port25.net is a little better.
Account deleted

24 March 2009, 9:53

Was any progress made on the .flv issue?

I have exactly the same issue with an AVI file. The block cannot see the artefact... so the file cannot be embedded.

Would really like to find a solution to this.

Also, in the alpha release it was possible to manage all file types under plugin administration

Plugin type: artefact

file (Config)

Configurable Uploadble File Types

Has this control now been removed?

Thanks, Jeremy

Account deleted

24 March 2009, 18:08

Hi - yes it has, because we had to drop the use of /usr/bin/file and so now can no longer reliably restrict what type of files are used - e.g. someone could easily embed a flash file by giving it a different extension.

I have received the flash file for testing purposes, but haven't had a chance to look into it yet.. still busy with import/export.

Account deleted

25 March 2009, 9:54

If you want the AVI file I can give you a link to download it via PM?

This same video was embedded in the first alpha release of 1.1 and worked fine, however, 1.1.2 does not seem to like it, very strange.

Jez

Account deleted

25 March 2009, 12:18

Hello Nigel,

It seems there are a number of problems with embedding Media.

After failing to embed an AVI file one of our users converted it to an mp4. The Mp4 was visible in the embed media block, however, when they added this the view was locked.

They were using IE7.

I have replicated this in IE7, it looks like some kind of javaScript / Ajax error. The view is impossible to edit. The use in question had to delete / recreate their view. Furthermore the view will not display properly. Another oddity is that the form fields for posting feedback are imediately visible, whereas, usually you have to click on the "leave feedback"  link to display these form fields.

Everything works as it should with mp4 in firefox, I was able to embed, view and delete the mp4 without issue. 

Unfortunately trying to do this in IE7 lead to an unmitigated dissaster... and much as I hate IE it is the most widely used browser and this kind of behaviour is going to distress a lot of people!

Jeremy

Account deleted

25 March 2009, 18:40

Hi - that doesn't sound good at all! I've filed a bug so that we are reminded to fix it ASAP.
37 results