Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
To lock or not to lock: Views and Groups

Andy Kirk's profile picture

14 March 2011, 19:56

Hi,

When using Mahara to capture evidence for summative assessment, a View can be submitted to a Course Controlled Group *, which then becomes locked for editing, and available once released by a tutor.

How do people counter the (real, perceived?) possibility that students will go in and make changes after their worked has been released/marked? We want the users to be able to build on their assessment views for use in job applications at the end of the course, so keeping them locked/unreleased from the Group is the last option, as they would have to make a new View for job purposes.

For audit/moderation/avoiding student trickery purposes I am thinking:

• Export a view at the time of marking/releasing?
  • A screenshot of assets in the view?
  • Just keep the view locked
  • Another way? ?

* I'm still not 100% certain on the difference between a Course group and a Standard group

Cheers,

Andy

16 March 2011, 15:58

Hi Andy,

I hope I understand the scenario you gave.  We have similar concerns around portfolio views that are created for accreditation purposes, and teacher certification.  Often we need to keep copies of these views as part of a permanent record.  The best way to do that is to have the student export the view(s) as html packages (web pages).  They export in a zipped file.  When they are opened they can be viewed in a browser, and it works very well! 

I hope this helps.

Ellen

Craig Eves's profile picture

16 March 2011, 17:13

Hi Andy

The difference between a couse and standard group is a course group is views are able to be submitted to a course group but not a standard group and this locks the contents until released by the lecturer. 

Currently the best way to make sure that the viewis not tampered with is to copy it in its submitted state.  The lecturer would keep the view locked and the student update a copy of this  view .

There are some interesting development s around moodle outcomes and exporting to mahara but not sure of verification process.

http://www.markdrechsler.com/?p=144

Another future possiblity is the certificate module in Moodle  has a verification block included this could be adapted to fit into mahara or a moodle/mahara integration

Craig

Andy Kirk's profile picture

20 March 2011, 5:00

Hi Ellen and Craig,

I am thinking along the same lines as you Ellen, although i may perform this export as admin and log in as.... Its something I try to avoid in Mahata and Moodle as it feels a bit like snooping, but for these purposes I want to ensure this export takes place systematically and not leave it down to individual students to perform.

Or, Craig, if you think there are benefits to making a copy of a view instead of exporting i would be interested to know.

Cheers,

Andy

Sigi's profile picture

31 March 2011, 6:43

Hi all,

I have the feeling that there is a general misconception of a view that has been submitted for assessment.

Mahara belongs to the students first hand and they should always  be able to work on their views. I do understand that at times there is a need of assessment of students' work but after having graded  a view it should immediately be released again for the student to continue working on it. The ePortfolio is a continuous process and not only the results should be assessed but more important the process.

And if there is a single  assignment in Moodle to be displayed in MAHARA the students can easily upload it as well to Moodle as to MAhara with Moodle 2.0.

I think IMHO we should not stress too much the outcome  but the development of students' work.

Cheers

Sigi

5 results