Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
How "Bad" is MySQL

Boyd  Duffee's profile picture

11 December 2009, 13:11

I've got it working finally!  (It didn't take me that long, but other things got in the way, so my apologies for the delay)  Here's what I had to do.

As suggested, I dropped selinux (it's always a PITA)

I probably forgot to mention that the server is on virtual box listening on a particular ipaddress, so when I tried  psql -d maharadb -h localhost -U maharauser -W, it refused the connection.

These are the changes I made:

config.php ->  $cfg->dbhost   = 'ipaddress';

pg_hba.conf->  host    maharadb   maharauser      ipaddress/32        password

postgresql.conf ->    listen_addresses = 'ipaddress'

Restart postgresql and Robert's your father's brother 

Wiser heads than mine would have realized this straight away, having already checked the documentation at http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html and not sounded off como un gilipolla.  Sometimes the best you can hope for is to serve as a bad example.

Gracias por tu ayuda y paciencia,

Boyd 

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 December 2009, 12:06

Hi Boyd,

Not only that... but I found it extremely un reliable and switched it back to MySQL.

The final straw was when PostGres failed to re-import its own exports, so, PostGres was dumping the database to file and then complaining about errors 30 seconds later when I tried to read it back in.

I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong, in the end I dumped it. 

Developers may get all gooey over PostGres but as an admin I think its a pile of junk and am very unlikely to ever consider moving away from MySQL again.

All pain no gain.

Jez

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 March 2009, 8:48

Thanks Nigel thats very helpful... not a flame in sight Innocent
23 results