Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
where is the document root ??

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

27 February 2009, 8:39

Greetings,

I have uploaded mahara to my website, i have followed the instructions and then i got blocked way.

"You have set up your data root to be inside your document root. This is a large security problem, as then anyone can directly request session data (in order to hijack other peoples' sessions), or files that they are not allowed to access that other people have uploaded. Please configure the data root to be outside of the document root."

my domain is www.onyx-sy.net , i have installed mahara in  www.onyx-sy.net/otsocial and gave otsocial permission 777, but it gave me the previuos msg, after that i created subdomain "otsocial" so the directory became www.otsocial.onyx-sy.net still the same problem, then i added "otsocial" directory to that subdomain gave it permission 777 and put the installing files in it also same msg.

in each time i have changed $cfg->dataroot to the correct path in the first case i put /var/www/vhosts/onyx-sy.net/otsocial

i the second case i put /var/www/vhosts/onyx-sy.net/subdomains/otsocial/httpdocs/

in the third case i put /var/www/vhosts/onyx-sy.net/subdomains/otsocial/httpdocs/otsocial

now im cluless of what i have to do Cry

you can access mahara through www.otsocial.onyx-sy.net/otsocial

thanks

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

27 February 2009, 8:54

Hi George,

greetings from Germany. I translate the german langpack and hope we can track down your problems Wink

Try to compare your setting with mine:

I copied mahara in  /home/[username]/public_html/mahara

My dataroot is
$cfg->dataroot = '/home/[username]/maharadata/';

so that the dataroot is outside the document root. The dataroot needs permission 0777

HTH

Heinz

Account deleted

27 February 2009, 9:03

the dataroot you mean mahara's files need to be 0777 ? or the folder mahara is inside needs to be 0777 ?

27 February 2009, 9:06

Hi George,

the dataroot folder (in my case "maharadata") needs permisison 0777.

Heinz

Account deleted

27 February 2009, 9:09

Hi,

in my case it's the folder otsocial which is alow 0777 and it's not working, i feel i miss something 

27 February 2009, 9:14

George,

I think it would be best to install mahara new. Check before that the setting in your config.php is correct.  Post the code snippet, so we can check it. [xxx your password ;-) ]  Drop the db and install it new.

Heinz

Account deleted

27 February 2009, 9:24

i think i wll try that
Account deleted

27 February 2009, 9:38

Hi George

The problem is not your mahara install directory, it's the directory you made to put uploaded files in.

So, regardless of where you actually install mahara, dataroot is a path on the filesystem to where uploaded files go.

For example, your mahara install directory was originally in /var/www/vhosts/onyx-xy.net/otsocial - a good place for your dataroot might be something like /var/lib/webdata/onyx-xy.net/ or similar.

Hope that helps!

Penny

Account deleted

27 February 2009, 10:45

Hi Penny thank you for the answer,

i dont have "webdata" in my "lib" directory andif i have normal hosting i wont be able to access the "/var/lib/webdata/onyx-xy.net/" so i think there should be "normal" way for users who has normal hosting.

Account deleted

27 February 2009, 10:47

that was just an example ;) just use anything you want - my point is that the dataroot is not the same thing as your mahara files.
20 results