Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
group blog view ?

Michele Balazs's profile picture

09 March 2011, 3:39

Hiya

I have 15 ILT pioneers. They are all creating blogs/views of their experiences. I would like to incorporate these into 1 page. 

Whats the best way of doing this ?

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

09 March 2011, 4:39

What about adding a small profile block on each pioneer into a 3x5 grid (perhaps with one post each), with a link to their full blog - so you can reach all content from within a single group view?

Just thinking that if you added everything onto one page it would be horribly crowded and difficult to read.

Michele Balazs's profile picture

09 March 2011, 6:03

That sounds exactly right. Can I do that with a group view ?

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

09 March 2011, 8:42

It's not straightforward - one of the most frustrating things I've found about Mahara is that what you can do in a group area is tightly constrained in comparison to the views of an individual (eg, types of content you're allowed to use).

However - you can add the necessary information as a text box - and even add images and hyperlinks within the text box. Just have a second browser window open so you can go through the site capturing the necessary links while adding content to the textbox. I would have struggled to find a good way to do this if I wasn't already using labels in Moodle to achieve exactly the same sort of functionality.

Hope this helps.

Andy Kirk's profile picture

14 March 2011, 15:40

I will be helping our Hair & Beauty department create a space for their end of term competition which is being judged externally by industry professionals. My plan is to: - Create an overarching view for the Hair & Beauty dept, give this a secret url access - Get each student to create their own views and assign secret urls - Collate each view as a link in the departmental view and share with judges This should mean external people can view all of the entrants from one access point. I'd be happy to consider a better way of doing this though if people have suggestions :-) I hadn't considered using a Group.
Mary Cooch's profile picture

15 March 2011, 14:36

So these external professionals don't have logins to your Mahara then? In which case I guess a "view of views" so to speak would work Ok - I have done the same with  our Year 7 pupils who all have a view and I have made a view that links to each one (well sort of, via form views) with secret URLS to show non-logged in interested parties like inspectors or governors etc.

6 results