Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Secret URL

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 February 2011, 4:52

I notice that the secret URL feature seems to have disappeared in 1.3.3, is there a way that this can be activated or has it gone for good? Are there plans to bring it back in later versions? We found it  a useful tool for sending to external moderators, etc.

Thanks

Kevin

François Marier's profile picture

28 February 2011, 18:40

That feature is still in 1.3.3 and will also be in 1.4.

For 1.3, go to "My Portfolio" and click on "Edit Access" next to your view, it should be near the top below "Logged in users" and "Friends".

You can try it out on mahara.org, we are running 1.3.3.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

02 March 2011, 3:48

Thanks Francois

This is certainly where it should be and used to be prior to the upgrade. But there is only the possibility to addd Logged on Users and Friends now. Is there a setting somewhere I need to attend to.

Cheers

Kevin

Account deleted

02 March 2011, 5:00

Hi Kevin,

I only have 1.4.0dev version here, but I thought it had disappeared too. However I found it on the summary page, My Pages->Share, in the rightmost column. Perhaps there is an equivalent location in 1.3.3?

Best wishes,

Mike

Account deleted

02 March 2011, 8:24

Thanks Mike but 1.3 doesn't have My Pages->Share. Are My Views changing to My Pages in 1.4?

I have just gone to the demo version at Mahara.org and the secret URL button is where it is supposed to be but it is not in my copy.....................strange

Cheers

Kevin

Mary McKee's profile picture

05 August 2011, 15:45

We recently upgraded our Mahara instance to 1.4.0 and our secret URL feature is missing too.  Is it really gone or is there setting an admin can toggle to make it return.  Our students use tis feature frequently, so I hate to lose it.  Thanks.

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

10 August 2011, 3:37

I'll second that - just upgraded to 1.4 and can't find how to add the secret url to a page. Group views/pages that had been created with a secret url in our 1.3 version came through the upgrade with the functionality intact, and the 'share' link lists those pages which have a secret url - and provides option to add a new one - but this isn't visible on pages for individual users.

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

10 August 2011, 4:36

OK - found out where the 'add secret URL' link is - from portfolio tab, click on share. I didn't try this before as it was already underlined - suggesting this is the screen I was on.

I still think Secret URL button needs to be on the 'share this' page alongside the options for public/logged in user/etc - this is where people will expect to find it. Requiring a different process that isn't possible during page setup creates a barrier for users.

Account deleted

10 August 2011, 17:45

Hi Gordon, I agree it's not good having secret url access on a separate page, but it was an unavoidable consequence of making it possible to apply the same set of access rules to multiple views at once.  The reason is that a secret url must identify a single view, whereas all the other access types can easily be applied to multiple views.

The share tab and the ability to update multiple views' access in one hit was originally sold to us as a usability improvement, and it'll stay like that for 1.4.x.  If enough people hate it and want it back the way it used to be, it could potentially be reversed in a future version, but I guess that's not currently a high priority.

9 results