Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
SSO Integration

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 February 2009, 7:16

Hi I would like to integrate Mahara into my own LMS which is a .NET application,

would somebody be able to offer any guidance on acheiving this. I have an XML-RPC library at my disposal, I just need to know the calls and responses i need to make to the Mahara system

Many Thanks

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

19 February 2009, 9:16

Hi Gary,

as far is I know the users here have only established a SSO from moodle sites.

Nigel will be the right man to answer your questions. You have to wait till Newsealand is awake.

cheers Heinz 

Account deleted

19 February 2009, 13:05

Hi Gary!

I would start by taking a look in the Mahara code - api/xmlrpc/dispatcher.php contains a list of the methods that can be called.

The way authentication works is as follows:

1. User hits a 'jump' url in the LMS, which sends some xmlrpc requests and stores a session token.

2. User gets redirected to a 'land' url in Mahara, (auth/xmlrpc/land.php), which checks the token with the originating host against the record it saved in step 1, and sends some more xmlrpc requests.

3. Yay, user is authenticated.

The transferral of files between the LMS and Mahara is relatively new and works in a very similar way.  

Hope that helps! Please feel free to contribute to Mahara's documentation about this, it needs some TLC :)

Penny

Account deleted

19 February 2009, 16:59

Some clarifications:

1. Jump doesn't send any XMLRPC requests

2. Land may call more than one, the one it normally calls is auth/mnet/auth.php/user_authorise

All of the code is open (naturally), so have a dig around in auth/xmlrpc/ in Mahara to see what happens. If you have any specific questions then we will be happy to give you answers Smile.

As Penny says, the main problem is that it's not documented. The "MNET Protocol" is not documented nicely anywhere, as far as I know, and I know the Moodle guys are planning some changes in Moodle 2 that we might have to follow. So your best documentation right now is the source, a bit of protocol analysis and asking questions here

4 results