Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Flush / delete old email notifications

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 November 2010, 11:18

We've been running Mahara since the start of the autumn term and I now want to switch on our email alerts. I entered all the relevant info in config.php and sent in a contact us form from the frontpage. The cron ran and along with the contact us form I got 20 or 30 email notifications obn subjects like view access to friend requests.

It looks like all the notifications since we've been running were all sitting waiting to be sent - eeep! Foot in mouth

I closed our site and removed the email server info from the config and did a bit of exploring in the db. I found the "notification_internal_activity" table and deleted around 5,000 email notifications waiting to send. I then turned everything back on and... got another 20 email alerts.

Is there a way of flushing / deleting previous email alerts from Mahara so that when I turn email alerts back on we start from scratch?

We're running Mahara 1.26 currently. Cheers for any help any-one can give.

Mike

Account deleted

22 November 2010, 16:17

Hi Mike,

The stuff in notification_internal_activity will be notifications that were already sent.  Notifications waiting to be sent out are in the activity_queue table, so have a look to see if you have anything in there. Also check interaction_forum_post and make sure the sent column is set to 1; new records will be put into activity_queue for everything with sent = 0.

Account deleted

25 November 2010, 6:31

Thanks for advice Richard. It worked a treat.

One thing I missed though was that we had a College Community group which every new Mahara member has to join. With email alerts turned on every member of the group got an email from a slightly off colour email post.

From fruther reading it looks like this can be avoided with the forum / topic subscription options, but just thought I'd share what happened in case any-one else is switching on email alerts after launching their site.

3 results