Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Problem with videos

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

09 November 2010, 3:44

Hi,
is there a possibility, to embed .swf files with flowplayer?
I figured out flowplayer is capable of playing swf files, but there are problems with the mahara file links I think.
I tried to embed jwplayer too, but no success with files uploaded to mahara (an external file works!)

Or are there any other options? I just want to have an control panel while playing swf files.

Regards, Florian

François Marier's profile picture

09 November 2010, 15:40

Currently SWF files are embedded directly, not through flowplayer.

However, there is a way to pause the video by right-clicking on it.

Cheers,

Francois

Account deleted

16 November 2010, 10:14

On having inconsistency with different types of media and flow player (embedded media block) - I decided to do a quick cross browser check with all the browsers installed on my computer. I tested in both Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7. I tested two videos of each media type.

I found the main peculiarity is that FLV, MP3 and MP4 files in most browsers display a 'flash animation' link that displays the media on click. Only one of these linked videos can be played at a time, the others remain as links.

Hope this is useful in some way. Find the results below:

Key  
  No Video Plays
  Video Plays but there is an issue with it
  Video Plays fine

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Comment AVI FLV MP3 MP4 MPEG QUICKTIME SWF WMV
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3  Only one of the '(Flash Animation)' videos play at a time.    '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.    One of two videos play.    
Safari 5.0 (6533.16)            Quicktime Symbol  Quicktime Symbol    
Google Chrome 8.0.552.200 beta    No Video Controls          One of two videos play.     No Video Controls
Opera 9.50   Only one of the '(Flash Animation)' videos play at a time. No Video Controls    '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.    One of two videos play.    

Windows 7 Home Premium (7600)

Comment AVI FLV MP3 MP4 MPEG QUICKTIME SWF WMV
Mozilla Firefox 3.6.12 (with windows media player plugin)   Only one of the '(Flash Animation)' videos play at a time.     '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.    One of two videos play.    
Internet Explorer 8  (8.0.7600.16385)   Only one of the '(Flash Animation)' videos play at a time.     '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.    One of two videos play.    
Internet Explorer 7   Only one of the '(Flash Animation)' videos play at a time.     '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.   '(Flash Animation)' Link. Plays on click.    One of two videos play.    
Account deleted

17 November 2010, 14:56

Thanks for all the data Richard, that's very helpful.

I can also see the 'one of two videos play' problem in firefox on the master branch (haven't had a chance to try and replicate the others yet).  I've reported it here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/676693

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

08 March 2011, 10:33

I found this blog reference to a fix for flowplayer display for the aTutor VLE - specifying php changes needed to display multiple flowplayers on same page. I'm not familiar enough with mahara file structure  - can someone suggest if there's an equivalent file that could be tweaked for the same result (I'm sure there is - just don't know where)?

http://atutor.no/2008/07/adding-flowplayer-embedded-flv-player-atutor

Thanks.

5 results