Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Timing between servers

Mike Korn's profile picture

01 November 2010, 22:27

Hi All,

I hope there is a simple fix for this. I have 2 separate servers for Moodle and Mahara and they are connected by SSO. 

They are both Ubuntu 10.01 64 bit and are both running the latest versions of Mahara and Moodle. 

My problem is that when the internal server times don't match, you can't log in to Mahara from Moodle. 

Does anyone out htere know of a simple way to synchronize the times of the 2 servers?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 November 2010, 3:47

Hi Mike,

Are your servers set up to sync with an ntp source correctly?

We use the ntp package rather than openntpd, but that's just for preference. All of our servers synchronize time with our internal NTP servers, which in turn all synchronize from the same set of upstream NTP servers.

You can use ntpq -p (provided by the ntp package) to query the status of your ntp peers.

It's also worth having the ntpdate package installed. Normally, if your NTP servers report a wildly different time, your machine won't just change - it'll work towards the correct time by making small adjustments. ntpdate makes an exception to this so that your time is correct at boot (or when it receives a new dhcp lease).

Andrew

Mike Korn's profile picture

08 November 2010, 20:08

thanks - worked like a charm.

3 results