Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
How can I update changes in the language repository?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 February 2009, 16:02

Hello,

I installed GIT in Ubuntu 8.04 and cloned the Spanish language repository.  As I have translated the language files for Artefact (Mahara 1.0.1Beta), I replaced the old artefac folder with the new one, with the files translated.

I made a commit and createad a new branch called artefact translated. Th en, I did git checkout with the master, and merged. According to the documentation ~

This will combine the changes of the master and feature_x branches. If you didn't change the master branch, git will just "fast-forward" the feature_x changes so master is up to date

I didn t want to change the master branch- I don think I would be allowed to do so-, so:

will be my changes now reflect in the Spanish language package repository?

How can we update this repository with the translations we are doing?

Thank you very much for your help. GIT  is still a paranormal phenomena for me!

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

11 February 2009, 17:34

Mari Cruz,

given that you are supposed to be one of the official Spanish translators and that you'll surely have an account on the git server, you don't need to create new branches to do your work (in fact, unless you know git a bit, that will make things more complicated).

Just clone the repository, modify files as you need (right on the master branch if you are doing your translation work for 1.1.x version, or on the 1.0_STABLE branch if you are doing it for the 1.0.x version), commit your changes when you are satisfied with the translation, and then use 'git push' to push your changes to the official repository. git push will push the currently checked out branch to the remote repository, but you can push any other branch with:

git push origin branch-name-goes-here

for example, you can push the 'master' branch (currently holding the 1.1.x version) or the 1.0_STABLE branch (currently holding the most recent 1.0.x version) with:

git push origin master 
git push origin 1.0_STABLE 

For this commands to succed, you need a git account for the Spanish git repository. You should contact Nigel McNie to arrange this.

Saludos. Iñaki.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 February 2009, 7:50

I have applied for an account.

Gracias por las instrucciones y los consejos, Iñaki.

3 results