Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Deleting a Group

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 October 2010, 7:49

Sorry if this is a bit of a Newbie question but I cannot seem to be able to delete a group. I'm site admin so surely I should be able to?

If so how?

If not, why not?

Thanks

Account deleted

06 October 2010, 16:46

In 1.2, group admins can delete their own groups, but site admins can't delete a group unless they're also an admin for the group.

This is fixed in 1.3, where there is a groups section in the Site administration area that allows the site admin to delete any group and promote/demote group admins for any group.

Account deleted

07 October 2010, 13:54

Thanks for a clear and rapid response.  Is it possible that if I join the group can I make myself admin and then delete the group?

Account deleted

07 October 2010, 16:11

In 1.2, you can't do that.  However, if the group has any admins in it, you could login as one of them, and then delete the group as that user.

If the group doesn't have any admins left in it, then unfortunately you will have to go and edit the database directly.  It should be enough to set the deleted field to 1 for the appropriate row in the group table.  Alternatively, add yourself as a group admin (add a row to group_member with the correct user id, group id, and a role of 'admin'), and then delete the group in the web interface.

Account deleted

15 October 2010, 4:21

Thanks Richard, that solved it.  I can easily masquerade as the group admin and delete the group.

5 results