Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Changing site logo

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 September 2010, 11:45

Per the instructions, i changed the site-logo.png in theme/static/images to a new image.  Actually, i renamed the old one and moved a new one in.  The image displayed did not change.  AHA - i restarted apache.  No change.  I opened the image in a new window.  Then i tried to reference the old one i had renamed.  No image found.

Maybe it was being inherited up from raw or static?  I renamed those site-logo.png files -- and they still displayed with the old name and not the new one.

Am i cursed?  Ubuntu 10.04 on a virtual machine, working with a new install and the OOTB themes (aqua).   I might think i was replacing the wrong files in the wrong location, but when i am viewing the image directly either from my desktop or using localhost on the server, i can't find the new or the old image.

[email protected]

Account deleted

27 September 2010, 3:06

Hi Richard,

When you say that you changed the site-logo.png in theme/static/images, do you mean that you created a new theme and added the file site-logo.png to your new theme, or do you mean that you took an existing theme and modified it?

If the latter, which theme did you modify, versus which theme is in use? I suspect that you've modified the raw theme, but are using the default theme perhaps. Because themes in Mahara are overloaded on top of one another, you could theoretically modify vast swathes of the raw theme and see many changes, but if you change any image in the raw theme, which is included in another theme, then that file takes precedence.

I'd highly recommend creating a new theme for your site as per the documentation at http://wiki.mahara.org/Customising/Themes/1.2 - this should enable you to make the customisations that you which to make, whilst preventing you from having any major problems when upgrading mahara.

Hope that this is of some help to you,

Andrew

Account deleted

28 September 2010, 16:19

Yes, thank you that was very helpful.  So was figuring out that i was trying to edit files in an old. not active directory.  I think that "L" on my head is for "loser" or "lame" - not for Linux

Thanks again for the help

3 results