Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Disabling blogs merely hides blogs?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 September 2010, 8:04

Hello,

I've just upgraded to 1.3.1. We have always had all blog-related plugins disabled as we run a WordPress Multisite install and people blog using that. However, I saw that the new front page of 1.3.1 had a link to 'Publish a blog'. When I clicked that, it took me to a page that allowed me to create a blog post.

I was under the impression that disabling the plugin would complete disable the plugin functionality but it seems that if someone knew the URL /artefact/blog/ they would see a way to publish a blog.

I've masqueraded as a normal user and it is the same for them, too. Does disabling the blogging plugins simply hide references to blogs or should it actually disable the feature for all users?

Thanks very much
Joss
Account deleted

23 September 2010, 18:52

Hi Joss,

Yes, 'disable' is the wrong word to use on that admin extensions page; all plugins & blocktypes are merely hidden when you click the disable link.  At some stage we might disable them properly, or even allow plugins to be completely uninstalled, but at the moment this is not possible.

But we should change the wording on that link, and I think we should also hide that front page block (with an appropriate warning) whenever one of the plugins it points to is hidden.

You could hide the front page block for your site (somewhere in site options), or perhaps go into the template and change the link to point to your wordpress site.

Account deleted

24 September 2010, 4:37

Thanks, Richard. That clarifies things. I had taken the approach you suggest and linked to the WordPress site. I've also noticed that there is still a reference to the blogs when users go to their General Account Options. There's a check box: 'Enable multiple blogs'

This should also be hidden, I think.

Cheers
Joss

Account deleted

24 September 2010, 4:49

Cheers for that Joss - I was aware of that one but hadn't bugged it - I have now. https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/646691

I've also prepared a patch but plan to adjust it some more.

Andrew

4 results