Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
No Public Key in Moodle

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 September 2010, 10:47

Hi all

Firstly, thank you to all that persivered with my dumb questions.  I now have maharaha working.  I am now up to getting Moodle and Mahara speaking to each other.

The problem I have is Moodle is not generating a Public Key.  I am assuming this is why I am getting the usual error messages.  IU have checked and rechecked that I have the wwwroot addresses correct at both ends, and that networkign is on.

I have also checked that curl is on, and that my database is using utf-8 unicode format.  I have been through a number of Moodle threads but nothing has worked thus far.

Can anyone help on this one please.

Regards

Adrian

PS: Please use layperson terms as I often get lost in the linux/unix jargon.  Thanks guys.

Account deleted

03 September 2010, 11:07

Hi Adrian.

Glad you've got your Mahara working now. It would be helpful if you could tell us what versions you're using for Moodle and Mahara as there have been some changes to the locations of networking features for both Moodle and Mahara recently.

You should be able to view the current keys as follows:

Moodle - Site Administration -> Networking -> Settings
Mahara - Site Administration -> Configure Site -> Networking

If Moodle has no key shown, try Deleting the key - it should be automatically re-generated. I'm not overly familiar with Moodle's logging, but if this fails, try checking your apache error log.

Andrew

Account deleted

04 September 2010, 23:49

Hi Andrew and all

I finally resulved the no public key issue by reinstalling Moodle fram scratch.  I am now confident I have all the settings within Newtworking for both Moodle and Mahara correct.  However they still refuss to communicate with each other and share their keys.

Is there any other settings, code that could be affecting this?  I have been reading a little about the mnet code, but it is beginning to get beyond my understanding.  I have also looked around the cpanal to see if there might be anything their preventing communication, but again it is beginning to go beyond my knowledge.

Interested in amy suggestions.

Thank you

Adrian

Howard Miller's profile picture

05 September 2010, 0:48

Hi,

Firstly what does "refuse to communicate" mean? What exactly are the symptoms and/or error messages?

In both Moodle and Mahara make sure you have debugging switched on. Moodle's error handling for MNET is pretty good with debugging on, Mahara less so unfortunately.

If you have had problems it's worth "resetting" networking in Mahara. There's no button like there is in Moodle so you have to fiddle with the database. In the 'config' table delete all the records with 'field' staring with 'openssl_'.  The delete all the records from the table called 'host'. Return to Mahara's networking pages to regenerate the key. 

Account deleted

05 September 2010, 3:02

Hi Howard.

By not communicating I mean that Moodle will not retreive the Mahara key.

As I have completely re-installed the latest Moodle and Mahara builds from scratch I would assume the databases to be reasonably empty, but I will flush both DBs to be sure.

Which config are you referring to, Moodle or Mahara?  I will assume for now you mean the Mahara config so I will start there.

Thank you, and I'll keep you updateed?

Regards

Adrian

05 September 2010, 3:22

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the table in the Mahara database called config. I didn't want to spell out how to manipulate the database as you might know. If it was a clean install then it should be ok but I've found that these database fields can get screwed up quite easily.

The most important thing is to run with debugging on - particularly in Moodle. Chances are that it will tell you why it isn't retrieving the key. 

Always tell us *exactly* what error messages you are getting because it can make a big difference!

Account deleted

05 September 2010, 3:31

Hi Howard

Following are the enteries in my website error log immediately after I try setting up the Mahara host in Moodle.  Are there any clues here?

[Sun Sep 05 18:28:42 2010] [error] [client 202.191.62.55] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 134217728 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker '202.191.62.55', file '/home/learning/public_html/mahara/lib/mahara.php', line 1914)
[Sun Sep 05 18:28:42 2010] [error] [client 202.191.62.55] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 134217728 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker '202.191.62.55', file '/home/learning/public_html/mahara/lib/mahara.php', line 1914)
[Sun Sep 05 18:28:42 2010] [error] [client 120.19.39.166] ALERT - script tried to increase memory_limit to 100663296 bytes which is above the allowed value (attacker '120.19.39.166', file '/home/learning/public_html/moodle/lib/setuplib.php', line 80), referer: http://learningpod.net.au/moodle/admin/mnet/peers.php

05 September 2010, 4:45

Well, that's another thing entirely but hopefully easy to fix. PHP's memory limit is set too low. 

In short, you need to find your php.ini file. Find the line starting 'memory_limit=' and make the figure bigger. Restart the web server and and then try again. If your site is hosted this may entail a support call.

Account deleted

05 September 2010, 22:15

Hello Howard

I have asked my host to investigate invcreasing the PHP memory allocation, it is currently set at 32 MB.

I have also activated Debugging and now receive this message when I attempt to set up a host in moodle using wwwroot:

Notice: Undefined property: mnet_peer::$application in /home/learning/public_html/moodle/admin/mnet/peers.php on line 148

Request for failed with curl error 3
  • line 78 of mnet/lib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 148 of admin/mnet/peers.php: call to mnet_get_public_key()
Request for returned empty response
  • line 104 of mnet/lib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 148 of admin/mnet/peers.php: call to mnet_get_public_key()
I feel there must be something preventing the pass through at teh web server
9 results