Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
How to apply bug fixes?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 August 2010, 4:17

Hi all

I've been requested to apply a bug fix for a feature a user of ours requested, but can't find instructions to patch just this one bug on the tracker. I was going to wait til 1.2.6 before another upgrade, but if the lines of code/files which have been changed for the bug can just be applied on their own that would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

Account deleted

31 August 2010, 17:18

Hi David,

Applying a single commit is fine if you are sure that the commit doesn't do a database upgrade, otherwise your db may get out of sync which will cause you problems in the future.

When you download a commit from gitorious it'll be a file with a name something like e7c24004807283e29e35765215ed532250d99701.patch, and you apply it with the 'patch' program.  I'm sure google can explain it better than I can, but basically if you go into your top-level Mahara directory (the one above htdocs) then this command should work:

patch -p1 < e7c24004807283e29e35765215ed532250d99701.patch

However: rather than applying just one fix, a better option is to generate a complete tarball of the latest 1.2.x branch from this link:

http://gitorious.org/mahara/mahara/archive-tarball/1.2_STABLE

and follow the normal upgrade process.  Then you don't have to worry about whether your patch does a db upgrade, and you'll also get all the other bug fixes that have been applied since you last installed/upgraded Mahara.  And later when you upgrade again to 1.2.6, everything will work fine.

Account deleted

01 September 2010, 6:32

Fantastic, many thanks Richard - worked and resolved the bug that had been reported.

Shame the hour still doesn't display when showing the time something was posted at, am sure I read that bug was fixed so thought it would be in this build. More digging I suppose.

3 results