Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Contributing a language pack

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 August 2010, 15:25

With a kickstart from a colleague, I've created a Mahara 1.2 langpack for US English: en_US.utf8.  ("Artefact" becomes "artifact", "personalise" becomes "personalize", that sort of thing.)  

I have a few questions:

1)  Am I correct to believe that there is no existing langpack made available for US English, at least not semi-bundled with Mahara or anything like that?

2) If so, I guess I'd like to contribute it.  I used the default Mahara lang files as a starting point.  Are there guidelines on whether and how to modify the boilerplate copyright comment in those files?

3) Is there a "Language Pack Contributions for Dummies" anywhere?  There's a page in the wiki about using git, but it doesn't quite explain how to contribute a new langpack.  And there's a how-to doc for contributing patches for existing files in Mahara core.  I suspect the process if different when it involves new directories and files (rather than patches to existing ones) that are outside of Moodle core (like langpacks).  Am I wrong?

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to ask or if the answers to these questions are in obvious places that I have somehow managed to overlook.

--Rich

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 August 2010, 16:48

Rich,

Great!  We don't have a US English language pack.

There is more information about how to contribute in the translations group, which you should join:

http://mahara.org/group/view.php?id=58

The master copies of all the language packs are repositories on gitorious here:

http://gitorious.org/mahara-lang

I'll create the en_us repository there now.  If you're willing to maintain your language pack in git, you could create an account at gitorious.org, email me at [email protected] with your gitorious username, and I'll give you commit access.  Otherwise you can send me a tarball.

Then we'll just add a link to your language pack on the language packs area of wiki so that others will always be downloading your most recent version.

2 results