Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
xmlrpc woes


Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

01 February 2009, 4:27 PM

Hi, trying to debug xmlrpc authentication with mahara 1.8<>moodle 1.9. anyone got any ideas where to go to debug this problem

Triple checked config.php entry for moodle server string (www root).

Both moodle and mahara are on the same server and error I get is that the retieval failed. I have turned networking on in moodle and the errors from /var/log/apache2/error.log are below the error I get from mahara xmlrpc wizard

An error occurred while retrieving the public key from the remote server.
Please ensure that the Application and WWW Root fields are correct, and that networking is enabled on the remote host.

 

 

[Sun Feb 01 19:54:47 2009] [error] [client 86.9.24.255]   * Pieform->validate(array(size 19)) at /usr/share/mahara/lib/pieforms/pieform.php:410, referer: http://apps.egglescliffe.org.uk/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=mahara&p=xmlrpc
[Sun Feb 01 19:54:47 2009] [error] [client 86.9.24.255]   * Pieform->__construct(array(size 5)) at /usr/share/mahara/lib/pieforms/pieform.php:170, referer: http://apps.egglescliffe.org.uk/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=mahara&p=xmlrpc
[Sun Feb 01 19:54:47 2009] [error] [client 86.9.24.255]   * Pieform::process(array(size 5)) at /usr/share/mahara/lib/pieforms/pieform.php:71, referer: http://apps.egglescliffe.org.uk/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=mahara&p=xmlrpc
[Sun Feb 01 19:54:47 2009] [error] [client 86.9.24.255]   * pieform(array(size 5)) at /usr/share/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php:97, referer: http://apps.egglescliffe.org.uk/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=mahara&p=xmlrpc
[Sun Feb 01 19:54:47 2009] [error] [client 86.9.24.255] , referer: http://apps.egglescliffe.org.uk/mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=mahara&p=xmlrpc

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 1643

01 February 2009, 5:12 PM

Hi - have you got the application field set right? In Mahara, it should say 'Moodle' (because you're connecting to a moodle).
Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

02 February 2009, 2:09 PM

Yes I have set that to moodle.
Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

02 February 2009, 4:17 PM

I wondered if I was missing some aspect of xmlrpc (a lib file say?). Anyway I have set up a moodle/mahara set on a laptop to check it all out on a non-critical system.

Is there a list of xmlrpc bits that is needed. Mahara did not point any out when I installed it and i remember having to put some php-xmprpc stuff in when installing moodle.

I am on 1.93+ moodle with an environment page that checks out that the install is OK

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 1643

02 February 2009, 8:24 PM

If you installed the xmlrpc library for Moodle, then Mahara won't need to ask you for it. Mahara will have let you know if anything was missing.

Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

03 February 2009, 1:23 PM

Well I have set up another pair on another server and am getting this in the httpd error log

I am using 1.0.9 from yesterday and a recent moodle

The same error is occuring in the xmlrpc wizard qnd I have copied the config.php entry for the www part

File does not exist /var/www/html/mahara/mnet

 

Oh and checking, there is no mnet in the one I was trying before either. 

anonymous profile picture
Deleted user
Posts: 1643

03 February 2009, 3:56 PM

Mahara definitely doesn't have an mnet/ folder - only Moodle does. Which means that your system still seems to think it's talking to a Moodle for some reason...

Have you got the Mahoodle documentation? It may point out an easy solution, or at least you can follow it through from scratch if you need.

Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

03 February 2009, 5:29 PM

Ah sorry! I put the mahara site rather than the moodle one!
Anyway, it works (my test system on a laptop) so I now need to look at our main system and try and diagnose the problem that is having. I have at least proved I can do the sso!

Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

04 February 2009, 12:19 PM

Got back to my real site and got the same problem, however when I renewed the expired key, mahar got through the registration process, so now back to the mahoodle instructions for the next bit.
Brian Lockwood's profile picture
Posts: 19

04 February 2009, 12:56 PM

And it is now all working.

For the record, the symptom I had was that the sso wizard told me to check the www setting.

The solution was to renew the moodle certificate which has an expiry date written in the moodle page and I was way past that date.

I suspected that I was missing xmlrpc libraries. I wasn't and for the record, the xmlrpc libraries that are installed on the server are

    Package    Class    Description   
libxmlrpc-c3 1.06.21-1 K-O A lightweight RPC library based on XML and HTTP for C and C++
php5-xmlrpc 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.4 P-T XML-RPC module for php5

 Hope that this helps someone in the future.

 

Brian L

10 results