Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Can't get mime_magic to load

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 July 2010, 21:41

Hi

I've installed mahara using WampServer 2.0 and received a few error along the way - most of which I've been able to resolve. I'll note them in here in case this helps out anyone else along the way.

Firstly I already run IIS on port 80 (and Tomcat on 8080, and various other servers and configuration tools smattered around high ports) so I installed Wamp on port 8086. I had to modify the mahara config.php to set $cfg->wwwroot = 'http://localhost:8086/mahara/'; as it redirects back to a port 80 service by itself. There should be a port configuration setting, but this also works.

Next I had to modify php.ini to include lib_curl.dll, as the Wamp setting (left click icon > php > php extensions > click an extension) does not work for me (I run Windows Vista 64bit).

I accidentally chose the utf8_unicode_ci from the wrong drop down list in phpMyAdmin when creating the database - there's two right next to each other and it's easy to use the wrong one. Will remember that next time.

I restarted all services in Wamp, then clicked on the mahara link under projects in my localhost:8086 homepage.

The installation then ran through, warning me about mime_magic. Everything else was ok.

Now every page I click on shows me this error:

[ENV] b0 Your server does not have the mime_magic extension enabled. Mahara may have trouble detecting file types.

Call stack (most recent first):
  • log_message("Your server does not have the mime_magic extension...", 1, true, true) at D:\wamp\www\mahara\lib\errors.php:123
  • log_environ("Your server does not have the mime_magic extension...") at D:\wamp\www\mahara\lib\mahara.php:80
  • ensure_sanity() at D:\wamp\www\mahara\init.php:82
  • require("D:\wamp\www\mahara\init.php") at D:\wamp\www\mahara\admin\users\suspended.json.php:32

I've left-clicked on the wamp icon and chosen Apache > Apache Modules > and verified that a tick is next to mime_magic. I've opened the apache folder and verified that the modules/mod_mime_magoc.so file exists. I've hand edited the httpd.conf file and ensured that the LoadModule line is not remmed out. I've restarted the service. I've also terminated the service and restarted it just to make sure it did a full close and open again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

07 July 2010, 1:41

Hi Tim,

the error refers to the PHP Mime magic extension, not Apache's one. If you are using PH 5.3.0 or newer,  you need to use the Fileinfo extension (as the Mime Magic extension has been deprecated).

Saludos.
Iñaki.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

07 July 2010, 21:12

Ok thanks that's done the trick Smile

It wasn't made clear in the installation instructions I was following about the difference (http://wiki.mahara.org/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Installing_Mahara/Installing_Mahara_in_Wampserver). It would be great if your tip about mime_magic / fileinfo was appended to that document.

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

10 July 2010, 17:17

Done! Wink

Saludos.
Iñaki.

4 results