Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Embed Video in Blogs

Oliver Lang's profile picture

09 June 2010, 3:46

Hi,

we use mahara at the University of Teacher Education Thurgau until now only for one course. The students have to upload some videos from their practical trainings at different schools. These videos should be only seen by the coach of the students. The students should write some reflections in blogs. Therefore it would be very useful if uploaded videos ("my files") could be embeded in blog posts. But this is not possible :-( because there are no permalinks for the files and so on. Is there any solution/idea for this problem. We don't want to upload the videos to youtube, etc

Best regards

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

10 June 2010, 14:49

Hallo Oliver,

greetings from Germany. did we meet in Bern?

I think best for your students would be to upload the video in swf file format or any other by mahara supported videoformat adn then add the video to a view including the students post. The tutots wil lbe able to give a feedback if the students give you view access.

Feel free to contact me in German letters for more details

Cheers

Heinz

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

10 June 2010, 22:28

I find trying to embed video a real pain no matter  in what system. I don't like converting to flash partially because it takes that extra step to convert. mp4 or mov would be ideal for me.

Oliver Lang's profile picture

15 June 2010, 2:06

Thank you for your answerss.
The question is why i can embed youtube videos (via html code) or any pictures in a blog post but no uploaded video. We know the way to crate a view and embed there any videos - but this is for our scenario no solution. Mahara should also be able to embed videos in blogs (as any other blog software does) not only in views

Best regards

Ali Hastie's profile picture

21 October 2011, 5:47

Hi

We are looking to to the same as Oliver within his first post above, embed My Files videos within their Journal postings. Has any one worked out how we could do this? We are not really keen for this particular student group to use youtube but prefer them to use their My Files area.

As Oliver hints within his last post, it would be much neater within a Journal post rather than embed  along with the journal within a Mahara page.

Also, when i use youtube embed code when editing a Journal post the video appears but when I save the post the video does not appear.

Using this youtube embed code:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QEGvm5Kfn1Q?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers,

Ali

François Marier's profile picture

26 October 2011, 19:09

Hi Ali,

It does look like there is a bug in our youtube filter because (I just tested this on master) it strips out the youtube iframe code.

Could you please file a bug about it on the tracker?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+filebug

(Make sure you include that iframe code in the bug report.)

Thanks!

Francois

Juan Ezeiza's profile picture

02 November 2011, 5:30

Hi Ali,

I had the same problem with youtube videos, but I realized that you can embed videos if you mark the option: "use old embed code".

This would be the "old" embed code for your video:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QEGvm5Kfn1Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QEGvm5Kfn1Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cheers,

Juan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 November 2011, 13:00

Hi Juan,

Which < markup > is the artifact using; (the < object > or the < embed >?) is the true question. Placing markup between the <object></object> is used for compatibility because of XHTML validation would throw an error, or improperly render the object. It would preclude that the written "code" is stripping out required elements.

Thank you

Ali Hastie's profile picture
Juan Ezeiza's profile picture

11 November 2011, 13:58

Thank you, Ali. It works for me too.

Cheers,

Juan

10 results