Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Different view theme depending on institution

steve P's profile picture

08 September 2010, 19:07

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. By moving, I mean removing a student from one institution and then adding them to another, via 'Institution Settings' in the Account Settings page.

I'm not sure what you mean by "To prevent a theme being chosen from one of the user's institution themes would be chosen at random, the theme is based upon the auth instance" or how this relates to my query.

To reiterate the issue:

1. User Joe is a member of Institution A, and all of his views inherit theme A (the only theme available to that institution).

2. Joe is removed from institution A and added to institution B ('moved' institutions).

3. Joe creates new views while in institution B, which inherit theme B (the only theme available to that institution).

4. All the views Joe created while in institution A still have theme A, and neither he nor an admin has any way of quickly changing them to use theme B.

What I'd like to know is, is it meant to be like that? Shouldn't a user (or admin) have the option to convert his views to the theme of his/her host institution, especially for consistency if those views form part of a collection?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 September 2010, 5:38

Hi Steve,

Sorry - I misunderstood your previous question. It is possible for a user to belong to multiple institutions and this is where my previous comment comes in to play.

I'm afraid that, currently, there is no way of changing the theme for those users in bulk - we haven't seen a requirement for such a change thus far.

I'll add it to the bug tracker as a Wish List Item - perhaps you could give some idea as to how you envisage this working.

I would guess that we add a popout to the list of views page with a drop-down of From and To. The From should contain any theme in use, or the 'All' option, and the To box should list any theme accessible by that user.

14 September 2010, 0:27

Thanks Andrew.

The feature may not need to be able to change the view themes in bulk, but at least allow the owner of a view that has been created in a different institution to be able to choose (by drop-down box) the view theme associated with the new institution.

So, the Mahara logic when a user edits a view within an institution where only one theme exists is something like:

Does this view have this institution's theme applied to it?

No - then enable the drop-down box to allow the user to apply this institution's theme.

Yes - do nothing

Account deleted

15 September 2010, 3:14

Hi again Steve,

Can you just confirm that you have the 'Users can choose View themes' option in Site Options -> User Settings disabled?

15 September 2010, 17:58

It is enabled, but the config files for the themes are allowing both instititutions only one theme each.

In the current scenario it doesn't make any difference whether 'Users can chose view themes' is enabled or not; when a user is moved to a new institution they have no ability to assign the new institution's available theme to their existing views. The only way I would be able to allow users to assign the appropriate theme to their existing views in the new institution is to allow that institution to have at least two themes available, which isn't the desired solution.

Account deleted

16 September 2010, 4:28

Steve,

I've just tried to replicate this on 1.3 as follows:

1. Create institutions alpha and bravo
  2. Create users one
  3. Assign one to alpha
  4. Set theme aqua to alpha; sunset to bravo
  5. Login As one, create a view, assign aqua theme
  6. Remove one from alpha, add to bravo
  7. Login As one
  8. View the created view - Institution alpha's view is still used
  9. Edit the created view - Prompted to change the view. Can't proceed without changing the view.
I've tried this both with and without the 'Users can choose View themes' option enabled.
The message I receive is "The theme you have chosen for this view is no longer available to you. Please select a different theme.":
Dialogue shown when changing a user's institution
Am I missing something?
Andrew

16 September 2010, 20:43

Thanks for looking into this, Andrew. I think I must be missing something, because I don't get this option. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that something changed between the RC version I have been using and the current stable version?

Account deleted

17 September 2010, 2:59

Hi Steve,

I've just checked out the 1.3.0RC1 version of Mahara and double-checked. This also works exactly as I describe under RC1. There haven't been any changes to view themeing between 1.3.0RC1 and 1.3.0 Stable.

Andrew

08 September 2010, 1:41

Richard,

Can you please provide an example of the syntax to enter into a theme's config file to specify which institutions it is available to?

Thanks.

Account deleted

08 September 2010, 3:26

The per-institution theme configuration is documented on the Wiki at http://wiki.mahara.org/Customising/Themes/Mahara_1.3_Themes

Essentially, you add an array to the themeconfig.php listing the names of the institutions which that theme belongs to.

Andrew