Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Using Mahara for controlled assessment at GCSE

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 May 2010, 4:29

Hi everyone

pretty much a newbie to the whole Mahara thing!

I have bought the book, had it installed on the school server and am in the throws of finding my way around it for a pilot scheme this September.

In a nutshell here it is -

I am (like all others) embarking upon the new controlled assessment GCSE ICT this Sptember. This entails all of my students creating and maintaining a portfolio of work over Years 10 and 11.

I am aware that there are 2 or 3 different approaches to this controlled piece of work.

1. Paper based where you collect the work in at the end of each and every lesson and ensure that examination conditions are met and the time monitered (with the GCSE ict each student gets 22.5 hours per year).

2. A USB held piece of work that I keep hold of and hand out at the start of ech lesson.

3. An e-portfolio based piece of work where the student only accesses it during a set time period and where they cannot a,emd it outside this time frame or the class.

Now lets look at the 3 points above -

1. Paper based ....aaaargh! Just had years of this and we called it coursework! If all else fails I will have to go down this route Cry The admin, the plagiarism, the security, the lost work.....

2. USB's ... hmmm... slip me your USB mate so I can cut and paste it will you? Or.... " My USB has stopped working etc etc etc

3. The most logical of the 3 BUT I run it through Moodle and was wondering had anybody any experiences / ideas about restricting the student's access time? I know that I can show / hide courses from students so that they can only do it when I want them to but what about the plagiarism bit on the computers? Would I create a folder and let them have access to mine or would I have access to theirs?

Sorry about the naivety of the above ... I do have the bookand I have skim read most of it  but I am so busy at the moment with staff off and deadlines looming etc that I hope to get in touch with someone who has a quick fix guide and who might be doing something similar

Cheers in advance

Paul

Craig Eves's profile picture

25 May 2010, 17:57

Hi Paul

In mahara you can set up a course group where a view can be submitted to a teacher.

The view is not able to be worked on until the teacher releases the view to the student, this will restrcit when the view can be worked on by students.

There is some integration with Moodle that allows the submission of mahara assessments in Moodle. I believe that the soon to be released Moodle 2 has the submission of mahara views builtin.

You can of course have the two systems running independently as it might take some setting up.

For details on setting up read the Mahoodle forum thread on mahara - there is also some documentation for how to set up.

cheers

Craig

2 results