Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Titles and Page Headings for groups

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 May 2010, 20:07

Hello Everyone,

We have been working on grouptypes for our mahara installation. So far we have added two new groups that are still in development. These groups are meetups (which will work just like meetup.org but, for business) and clubs which are used for discussion only. Groups can be used by different people for different reasons. This is why we are creating different groups that will function differently. Now in doing this we have come across one issue. 

When a user creates a group the grouptype is displayed within the group name. An example would be Business to Business Meetup. Meetup is a grouptype that users are allowed to create. However, when a user views the groups main view it only shows Business to Business. I have been trying to figure out how to have Business to Business Meetup show on the pageheading of that groups main view.

Looking at group/view.php I find the following code:

define('TITLE', $group->name);

How can we add $group->grouptype to the $group->name function? Or is there another way to do this? Maybe it's simple and I am missing it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advanced:)

Cheers

Account deleted

04 May 2010, 20:37

Update....

Well I have figured it out. Below is the code:

define('TITLE', $group->name. ' ' .$group->grouptype);

However, I have not found a solution to capitalize the grouptype. Ex: Business to Business club. This part of the page heading doesn't become capitalized. Ummm?

Account deleted

04 May 2010, 22:05

I took a look at the php manuel and it helped to figure out the capitalization issue. The line of code was changed to define('TITLE', ucwords($group->name. ' ' .$group->grouptype));.

This might help someone out who might want to modify a page heading for groups.

Cheers:)

Account deleted

08 May 2010, 2:00

I'd be careful using the term "meetup".  Meetup is a registered trademark of Meetup, Inc. So, I'd recommend asking your business attorney about the use of that word on your site (since you are using it the same way Meetup, Inc. is).  We had our attorneys review our site for potential trademark conflicts and as a result made a few changes (turned out for the better) as a result.  It's always best to be safe than sorry.

Account deleted

08 May 2010, 21:27

Stephen,

Thanks for the advice on this. I have done a little research on this and I have found many sites who use the word meetup. To cover myself I have wrote meetup.com to see if there would be any issues. We plan to get our attorney involved after we have finished the functionality of the site. If we have to change our meetup group to something else, I wouldn't have a clue what to call it. Meetup fits pretty good considering this is the only group type that will be allowed to have events. Thanks again for the advice.

Allen

5 results