Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
An error occurred while retrieving the public key from the remote server.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 April 2010, 1:52

Please ensure that the Application and WWW Root fields are correct, and that networking is enabled on the remote host.

First, yes, I have google and searched ... but I have not found a solution..
It may be out there, but I need help..

I want to integrate SSO for my Mahara (1.2.4) and Moodle (1.9.8)

I have tha latest ver of both.

I have enable Network, got an SSL serficate on both side.

But when I am adding a Instituion on Mahara, and add XMLRPC to my Moodle I get this error.

Please ensure that the Application and WWW Root fields are correct, and that networking is enabled on the remote host.

I have tryed the PDF guide, I have checked names, site info, firewall, dns, and all seams to be ok.

Have any1 some tips?

Greetings Eddie

Account deleted

23 April 2010, 15:57

still no tips?

Greetings Eddie

Account deleted

25 April 2010, 2:42

Hi Eddie,

I usually see this when there's a DNS/firewall issue that prevents your server from resolving the IP address of the Moodle install.

Simple test to confirm this - open a command line up on your Mahara server and try to "ping" the moodle server like this (replacing www.mymoodlesite.com with your moodle url):

ping www.mymoodlesite.com

if it returns errors, then it's likely that your server can't convert the address into the IP address of your Moodle server. This is what a DNS server does for us. Sometimes web servers are put behind firewalls and aren't always set to use a valid DNS server - or the internal DNS server may be returning a different IP address than the correct one.

An "easy" way to bypass this on corporate networks is to modify the "hosts" file on your mahara server - to give it information about the IP address so it doesn't need to check it against a DNS server. The only problem with this is that if your Moodle server is moved and the IP address changes, then you will also need to update the hosts file again.

find out the ip address of your moodle site - (an easy way to do this is by running the ping command from your desktop machine)

then add this line to the hosts file on your server (replacing the url with your site, and the 192.168.1.1 bit to your IP address):

192.168.1.1  www.yourmoodlesite.com

location for the hosts file in ubuntu is /etc/hosts
or if you're using windows in the /windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

If you're using a different webserver, do a google search to find out the location.

hope that helps!

Account deleted

26 April 2010, 15:45

Hi Dan,

Tnx for nice reply...

I checked your tips.. I can resolv dns names. but i cant get a ping reply.

I think its because both sites is on same server. I actually cant ping localhost eather...

I can ping everything else... other hosts on the lan, wan and internett, resolv works...

Does the SSO do a ping check? icmp reply? if so then it failes.. if it only connects to the web services (wget www.blabla.com) etc.. then it sould work.... hmmmmmm

tnx for nice reply.. I have to check if the sites can communicate between..

Eddie

A post by Account deleted was deleted

5 results