Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
mahara and postgresql locations

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 April 2010, 18:56

I am a newbe to dedicated server seups so i may have done something wrong... it seems I have to put mahara in the var/www as the location to be seen... it says in manual it sb usr/home. I put it there so there is a copy there but it can not be seen....

now i set up postgresql using the apt cmds install etc... I followed instructions on a webpage fond in google and it ended up that i installed a 7.4 version some how.

so i went back aND DID IT AGAIN AND I GOT A  8.1,,, HOW EVER I SEE  there is a  8.4 BUT CAN NOT SEEM TO SEE IT IN THE APT PKGS. I set up 8.1 and it is in  /ext/postgres/8.1, there is also a 7.4 in there the first one i set up...

if i poke around i see in usr/share is another 8.1.. I have been hacking at it as you see...and folowed some more web page instructions and  that is how i got to this point.  now i really need to  remove some postsql and some maharas and have a  clean install,Which one and how do i point the mahara to the right db and directory...

again i think i may have to set up a virtual host on the machine for it to see home ... am i correct...

anyways you see my problem.. i am convaluted and confused...

I need some straighr fwd instructions that get me to the home directory and pointing to the 8.1 or 8.4 what ever it sb postgresql. 

Now using the apt cmds.. can i uninstall the extra versions on postgresql 

I think what i am suposed to do is set up a virtual server first called babblefishsn.com as that is the url i will pointing to for the mahara site..  then do the install I am just not sure cause of all te different examples i see.. .

is this correct if i use

apt-get install mahara

I assume that will install the current version to the usr/home directory...

or do i 

1. Copy the mahara- 1.2.0.tar.gz package  into your home directory on your web server. If you are copying the file to the server from your own computer, you can do this using the scp command (on Linux or Mac):

scp mahara-1.2.0.tar.gz servername:pathtohomedirectory

On Windows, you may prefer to use a free FTP utility such as FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/).

2. Unpack the contents of the Mahara package on the Linux server. On the terminal, you can do this using the tar command:

tar xvzf mahara-1.2.0.tar.gz
  3. You will now see a new folder called mahara-1.2.0; you will need to rename this to public. To do this on the terminal, you can use the mv command:

mv mahara-1.2.0 public
  4. That's it! The Mahara code is now in place.

i did that so i have a copy in home as well in the www area in home it is in public folder per instructions )  in www it s a folder called mahara...

if i go to 192.120.224.41/mahara i get everthing working from  www directory...  however i et a db error

Mahara could not connect to the application database.

* If you are using Mahara, please wait a minute and try again
* If you are the administrator, please check your database settings and make sure your database is available

The error received was:
postgres7 error: [-1: Database connection failed] in CONNECT(localhost, 'postgres', '****', maharadb)
I have tried quit a bit just not making a virtual host ... should i. I stoped because the server had so many diferent approches all going at once here.. and none fixing the problem.. so can tou give me the stright skinny here and lt me know which of these many diferent setups is the right one for the apt debain approach as i have a debain server
thanks in advance
Account deleted

21 April 2010, 9:14

any suggestions

Account deleted

26 May 2010, 18:10

i experience the same problem but with musql database

this is the error message i receive

Mahara could not connect to the application database.

* If you are using Mahara, please wait a minute and try again
* If you are the administrator, please check your database settings and make sure your database is available

The error received was:
mysql error: [1045: Access denied for user 'zam'@'localhost' (using password: YES)] in CONNECT(localhost.mourady.me, 'zam', '****', template1)

i hope we could contact and try to solv it

Account deleted

28 May 2010, 10:04

dear johny

i was working on my problem and i have solved it

look try to edit this line in the config.php file as below

$cfg->dataroot = '/home/............../maharadata';

the mahara data file as you know shoyld be away from the mahara folder

so when i tried i created afolder and called it wael then i created the mahara data folder inside it and when tried it gave me the same message as you

but when i tried to put mahara data folder in the /home directly and tried

it worked

:)

4 results