Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Database Problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 January 2009, 8:16

Hello,

i tried to install mahara on my local PC. It is running with Windows XP and I installed Xampp 1.7.0. Then I followed the Instalation - Tutorial which is posted here. When I started Mahara then it didn't work. It says. 'Mahara: Site unavailable: Your server configuration references an unknown database type. Valid values are "postgres8" and "mysql5". Please change the database type setting in config.php.'. But I wrote into my config.php that I got an mysql5 database. So what can be the Problem. Please help me I got no Idea.

Best wishes,

Amadeus

Account deleted

20 January 2009, 10:28

Hello Amadeous,

I can give you some advice from my experience, when I tried to install Mahara in windows.

1) I didn't used XAMPP, but Wampserver. It did work well and I wrote the documentation for the wiki:

http://tinyurl.com/mahara

2) In Wamp server, I got your same error message when I forgot to create the database "a priori". That means, through phpmyadmin or  sqlitemanager, you need to create the database first, and then write the name in the config.php

Did you already do this second step?

The other possibility I can think of is the LAMP platform:

I am using MySQL 5.0.45   

Apache Version :
PHP Version :

I don't know if Mahara would work with lower versions.

Hope that this information may be useful.

Regards

Aaricia/Mari

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 3:58

Hi,

I already built an database with phpmyadmin and wrote the information into the config php, but the problem was still there. A colleague tried to install mahara the same way and he had no problems. I also deinstalled my xampp and installed it aigan and i tried different mahara versions. I tried 1.0.7 and 1.0.8 but the problem didn't disapear. It is important for me to get it running, because I want to try it in connection with moodle.

I use XAMPP for Windows Version 1,7,0 which has following components:

• Apache HTTPD 2.2.11
  • MySQL 5.1.30
  • PHP 5.2.8

Has anyone else got an idea how to solve my problem. Thank you very much in advace.

Rgards 

Amadeus

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 5:55

Hello Amadeous,

I think that the versions of the LAMP platform are OK. Then, I noticed that, in your first email, you mentioned "Windows XP". I installed in in Windows Vista.

Your error message is just: "

Mahara: Site unavailable"

Is there any additional message?

Have you checked that, in the config.php 

$cfg->dataroot is poiting to a writable directory out of the data directory and that  the route of $cfg->wwwroot is properly configured?

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 6:41

Hi,

I haven't got an LAMP instalation I got a XAMPP instalation. I still got the problem and I checked your Ideas. 

I think that the route is configered right and at the place I mentioned as writeable directory isn't empty. Mahara already wrote something.

Have you got any other Ideas why it isn't running. Please someone can help me.

Yours faithfull,

Amadeus

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 6:46

Hello Aaricia/Mari,

over the notice 'Mahara: Site unavailable' it say:

'

[WAR] 3b Undefined variable: cfg
Call stack (most recent first):
  • log_message("Undefined variable: cfg", 8, true, true, "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 59) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\lib\errors.php:374
  • error(8, "Undefined variable: cfg", "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 59, array(size 23)) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php:59
  • require("C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php") at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\admin\index.php:31
[WAR] 3b Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot
  • log_message("Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot", 8, true, true, "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 63) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\lib\errors.php:374
  • error(8, "Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot", "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 63, array(size 24)) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php:63
  • require("C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php") at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\admin\index.php:31
[WAR] 3b Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot
  • log_message("Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot", 8, true, true, "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 63) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\lib\errors.php:374
  • error(8, "Undefined property: stdClass::$dataroot", "C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php", 63, array(size 24)) at C:\xampp\htdocs\mahara\init.php:63

'

I hope this helps you too,

Yours sincerely,

Amadeus

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 7:35

I've seen that error before - Mahara tries to include its own 'config.php', but there is a config.php that XAMPP is providing on the include path before Mahara's one. This file gets included instead, and of course doesn't hold your configuration data. This would explain why it is complaining about your settings.

Could I get you to make one small change to the file 'init.php', and see if it fixes the problem?

In init.php, somewhere near line 60, you will find this line:

require('config.php');

Could you change it to:

require($CFG->docroot . 'config.php');

And see if that makes it work?

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 9:05

Hi Nigel,

I tried your idea. The effect was that I reached the Page where you have to agree with GNU. When I agree the browser says'http://localhost/mahara/admin/admin/upgrade.php. When I delete one off the two admin in this adress i reach the upgrade.php ad it says:

'

Mahara

Performing installs and upgrades...

Component or plugin From version To version Information
core Not installed 1.0.7  
firstcoredata

artefact.blog Not installed 1.0.0  
artefact.file Not installed 1.0.0  
artefact.internal Not installed 1.0.0  
artefact.resume Not installed 1.0.0  
auth.imap Not installed 1.0.0  
auth.internal Not installed 1.0.0  
auth.none Not installed 1.0.0  
auth.ldap Not installed 1.0.0  
auth.xmlrpc Not installed 1.0.0  
notification.emaildigest Not installed 1.0.0  
notification.email Not installed 1.0.0  
notification.internal Not installed 1.0.0  
search.solr Not installed 1.0.0  
search.internal Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.internal/profileinfo Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.file/folder Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.file/image Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.file/internalmedia Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.resume/entireresume Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.internal/contactinfo Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.textbox Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.externalvideo Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.externalfeed Not installed 1.0.1  
blocktype.blog/blog Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.resume/resumefield Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.file/filedownload Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.blog/recentposts Not installed 1.0.0  
blocktype.blog/blogpost Not installed 1.0.0  
interaction.forum Not installed 1.0.0  
lastcoredata

Successfully installed Mahara! Continue

'

and there is no button to go on, so have you got an Idea for the next step??

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 9:13

On my Page I cannot see the line where it says 'Successfully installed Mahara! Continue'. So Ican't click OK to go on and as you can see it says not installed at each position.

I hope this doesn't sound to confused.

Account deleted

21 January 2009, 16:01

Hi, good to hear that first fix worked! The reason why you can't see anything is because you have javascript turned off I think... try turning it on and see if the system installs - Mahara needs javascript to function currently.
14 results