Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Need help setting SMTP host

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 March 2010, 17:37

quote "...as the default php mail service should handle your mails if you have sendmail (or equiv) set up."

how did you set up the sendmail?

in your smtp configuration with google, what is the username and password you use?

Thanks. 

steve P's profile picture

28 March 2010, 20:19

Afrizal, I doubt if Gary will give you his username and password for sending mail via Google, but you could probably set up a Google account yourself and give it a try.

The problem with using a local sendmail in many universities is that mail relay will not be allowed unless the server is whitelisted. ISPs also impose this restriction to avoid potential spam.

I think you need to talk to your university mail administrator to find the solution.

henrythemouse's profile picture

28 March 2010, 21:47

Well, setting up sendmail is a subject that has filled many a book. Mostly though, the hard part is usually done for you by the people that make your distro (in the case of linux). You would have to learn to setup your dns however, which is also a somewhat involved process. All of this may be mute if your university admin controls these things, check with the people in the know before you invest too much time with the other stuff.

Anyone can setup a email account with google. Once you've done that you can use your own username/password to use their smtp servers. I can help you with that if you need some help.

Account deleted

29 March 2010, 3:52

Google may block mail if the Mahara box is not properly configured with hostnames, reverse IP etc.

We need to take it from the top.

Which Linux is being used?

What does your Institution use to send it's mail on an everyday basis?

Your network may only allow that service (Exchange, whatever) for outbound mail.
My view is (but please step in!) that you should consider installing the mailx and postfix packages on your Mahara box. Then you should make sure that IT/Network management is reserving an IP in dhcp tables for it, then configure /etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces (or similar depending on distro) in order to make your box a fixture on the domain (restart network serviceson Mahara box according to distro).
Then configure postfix to show various permutations of your Mahara box (mahara.domain.org, mahara, whatever.hostname) then find out the address (from network manager) of your sendmail server (eg Exchange) this is also to go in postfix configs. Then restart postfix (as per distro).

You also need to ensure that port 25 is available to you.. you may find that they have assigned a different port to smtp (for whatever reason) and if that's the case you will need to match that port on your machine.

When you send packets around and in and out of a network you need the full cooperation of those responsible for this traffic because it's their job to make sure nobody sends anything they shouldn't. There are firewalls, proxies and spam and content filters to deal with, you can't always do this stuff on your own, you need to talk.

If we could just do what we wanted, when we wanted on someone else's network it'd be a nightmare.

Account deleted

29 March 2010, 9:19

hey Afrizal,

I think you might have forgot to configure a cron for mahara.

please see this http://wiki.mahara.org/System_Administrator's_Guide/Cron_Job

I hope it will be helpful for you.

thanks

Suhail. 

Account deleted

29 March 2010, 13:24

Thanks for all responds.

Btw about cron, i think i have done it. But i am not sure if i did it correctly, as i done understand the instruction very much.

Could you explain once more with easier instruction? what should i do and what should i type there?

Thanks a lot! 

16 results