Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
SSO Mahara-Moodle: understanding problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 March 2010, 10:55

Hi all,

I have connected both Mahara and Moodle through SSO but I am still a bit confused, probably due to a misunderstanding problem.

It looks like that the difference between SSO and Advanced SSO accordingly to the Mahara-Moodle integration document is that by using the latter you can allow users to log in Mahara directly if they are sso in from Moodle.

If I now want the has the reverse situation TOO, that is sso in from Mahara to Moodle, users could go from A to B and B to A and accessing A and B independently. The problem would be that both applications, Mahara and Moodle, would have to create a proper record to let both users log in against the both application respectively.

We could end up having three records of the guys in the two applications:

1.- One in Mahara that was created on arrival the first time the user came from Moodle. Usually users are prompted the first time to enter a new password.
 2.- Two in Moodle, the original one when the user first signed in plus the one that may be created on arrival the first time the user came from Mahara, supposing Moodle prompts always users caming from Mahara the first time with the "new password request", not checking if they were already created (which I hope it is not).

So, my question is. Is probably the best option to SSO from A to B or from B to A but not both avoiding possible additional record creation plus confusing users? 

Another potential problem would be that usernames are unique in both platforms. What would happen if we let two different George register with the same username in two platforms... Well in order to talk about that I would need to know more about the internal implementation of both.

Any help please?

Thanks. 
1 result