Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Mahara Site Unavailable! Help!

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 February 2010, 21:34

Hi,

I'm new with Mahara and I want to create a Social Network for my software (Fusion Browser) and I have tried using BuddyPress but I think Mahara would be better for our needs. I have 1&1 Hosting (Sadly) but I had to delete the .htaccess file because I got a 500 Internal Server Error. After I removed the .htaccess then I could get to the site but now It sais this:

Mahara: Site unavailable

Your defined data root directory, /path/to/uploaddir/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist, or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.
Please help me with this or do I need to contact my hosting (I hope not, they seem horrible at customer support!)
Thanks,
Keith Wright.
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 February 2010, 6:39

Hello Keith,

I am not by far an expert in hosting issues, but it looks like a permission problem. My experience is that with many ftp clients, you cannot see and you cannot change the permissions of the subdirectories under the public  directory.

It seems that you need to change the permissions of the maharadata directory to make it writable by the web user. How you can do that with your hosting service provider I don't know. I usally have to send an email for it (which is quite annoying, I agree), but I have been told that with Cpanel or Fantastico you can change directories permissions directly.

Regards

Mari

steve P's profile picture

26 February 2010, 0:51

Hi Keith,

It looks like you haven't specified the correct path to the upload directory (data root) in your config.php. On a shared host it should be set to something like /home/yourname/maharadata (you need to create the directory somewhere outside of the html root and make sure it is writeable by the web server).

Hope this helps.

Steve.

3 results