Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Normal users exporting-importing their views

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 February 2010, 7:22

Hello,

I have been testing the exporting-importing pluggin. I thought that normal users could import their views or any elements of their portfolio. Jus in the same way that their is a "Export" tag in MyPortolio, there would be an "Import" tag in which the  learner can import the zip file.

Would Mahara 1,3 implement this?

Regards

Mari

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

07 March 2010, 8:05

Hi Mari Cruz,

I was 'surprised' by this too, because I remembered (from Nigel's video) that users could import their own portfolios. But it seems this was only available while the feature was being developed (to ease the testing process I suppose). Now only the admins (and maybe the institution admins too? I havent' checked) are able to import portfolios into the system.

I don't know if this is desirable or not, but from my little experience with other portfolio systems this seems to be inline with what others do.

Saludos,
Iñaki.

08 March 2010, 4:42

Hello all,

Effectively in version 1.2 only Admin can import an import e-porfolio XML files when a new user is created.

I understand the need to control eventually and avoid portfoliospamming in not letting the users do that by their own.

But in the sense of students' ownership of their learning, I also would appreciate having an option to permit or forbid users to import a previous view in their e-porfolio.

Maybe a request for version 1.3, we have to ask Richard about that.

-dajan

Sigi's profile picture

08 March 2010, 14:16

Hi all,

yes, now I remember that there was this option for the admin... so I exported a view as LEAP ,got a zip, created a new user , uploaded it... BUT... here is what the system keeps telling me: and it definitely IS a zip file!

Any idea?

Sigi

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 March 2010, 23:51

It's another recent bug I'm afraid:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/514069

I think the main reason users are unable to import their own portfolios is just that we didn't have time to implement that feature -- we thought it was better to have the admin-only import released than to delay the 1.2 release even longer.  The import is quite a bit easier when creating a new user, because there is no possibility of conflicts between the existing user's artefacts and the ones in the import file.  But we might still add the feature in a future version of Mahara.

5 results