Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Europass plugin RC3

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

23 February 2010, 8:20

Europass plugin RC3 at: http://mahara.org/view/view.php?id=9843

Hopefully no more bugs... (Thanks to Andi for spotting this one).
Please test it and give me your feedback.

Don't use it on "live" server - as the name suggest it is only a Release Candidate and is not suitable to use on "live" / production server.

Regards, Gregor

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 February 2010, 16:27

Hello Gregor,

I have been testing the Europass RC3 tonight with Firefox and Ubuntu 9.1 and it is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Thank you very much for your hard work. I am European to the core, and I can see the potential of this integration within the EU.

I am in several UK Moodle lists and fora and I will try to find testers among schools, which seemed to be interested in the EU language passport, although I cannot promiss anything.

I also have a couple of questions:

1)what templates have you used for the headings and sections? I read that there were different versions but I couldn t download the templates from the EU job search website tonight -I assume that this is the official Europass website- so I downladed the templates from the Irish website: www.europass.ie.

2) How can I change the folder where the xml file is downloaded? I know it is the default folder set up in your  browser but is there a way of changing it in the exportxml file?

3) In the same way that the pluggin maps and matches sections from the original resume pluggin of Mahara, I was thinking that maybe we could match the "goals" and "skills" Mahara sections with the "Personal skills and Competences" sections of the Europass, like this:

personal skills-----social skills

organizational skills---work skills

Technical skills-- academic skills?

What do you think?

5) Can you import the xml file downloaded in another platform? Does it fulfil the leap2.0 standard?

When you have the draft version of the strings translation from the original Europass in Spanish, just let me know!

Regards

Mari

Account deleted

23 February 2010, 16:40

Hello Gregor,

I have been testing the Europass RC3 tonight with Firefox and Ubuntu 9.1 and it is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

Thank you very much for your hard work. I am European to the core, and I can see the potential of this integration within the EU.

I am in several UK Moodle lists and fora and I will try to find testers among schools, which seemed to be interested in the EU language passport, although I cannot promiss anything.

I also have a couple of questions:

1)what templates have you used for the headings and sections? I read that there were different versions but I couldn t download the templates from the EU job search website tonight -I assume that this is the official Europass website- so I downladed the templates from the Irish website: www.europass.ie.

2) How can I change the folder where the xml file is downloaded? I know it is the default folder set up in your  browser but is there a way of changing it in the exportxml file?

3) In the same way that the pluggin maps and matches sections from the original resume pluggin of Mahara, I was thinking that maybe we could match the "goals" and "skills" Mahara sections with the "Personal skills and Competences" sections of the Europass, like this:

personal skills-----social skills

organizational skills---work skills

Technical skills-- academic skills?

What do you think?

5) Can you import the xml file downloaded in another platform? Does it fulfil the leap2.0 standard?

When you have the draft version of the strings translation from the original Europass in Spanish, just let me know
Gregor Anželj's profile picture

24 February 2010, 2:18

Answers:

1) I am not exactly sure, what are you trying to ask me.

If you mean the language strings(e.g. Driving licence(s), Skills and Competences, etc) then the strings are available in the xml form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/hornav/Downloads/TechnicalResources/EuropassLabels.csp

Or maybe did you mean those:
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/hornav/Downloads/EuropassCV/CVTemplate.csp and
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/hornav/Downloads/LangPassport/ELPTemplate.csp

I didn't use those.

The plugin works in that manner, that it takes the data from Mahara database, forms the data into Europass XML, sends that XML to Europass web service and Europass web service returns data in PDF or DOC or ODT or HTML format.

2) It depends on the browser that you are using. It has nothing to do with the plugin itself.

3) I don't know and I am not sure. For example how do we match the ICT skills - are they technical, etc.?

Currently the plugin takes all of the three (social, work and academic skills) and matches them to Europass Other Skills (which, by the way, hasn't got any field in the Europass form of the plugin)

I would also like to hear from other users, regarding this thing.

5) You can import the downloaded xml file directly to Europass online tools at
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/vernav/Europass+Documents/Europass+CV/CVOfflineUpdate.csp (CV) and
http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/europass/home/vernav/Europass+Documents/Europass+Language+Passport/ELPOnLineUpdate.csp (Language Passport)

I don't know for the LEAP 2.0 standard. I just know, that I created a valid Europass XML from the data from Mahara database.

I'll send you the Spanish strings ASAP.

Regards, Gregor

Account deleted

24 February 2010, 7:12

I was refering to the csp templates, as I couldn t open those links yesterday, so I wasn t sure if the Irish site got the latest versions.

I agree that it is not easy to match the skills fields of  My Resume with the skills fields of the Europass. As entering a CV can be a time-consuming task-in particular if you have to type the same information, but in different ways-, I was thinking of combining somehow the information that we already have in the database, to spare learners from typing it again.

I am not an expert in eportfolio standards by far, but I have had a look to the xml file generated by the Europass and the leap20 xml file generated by Mahara, and the tagging is complete different.

Regards

Mari

5 results