Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Public Views

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 January 2009, 12:05

We are thinking about implementing Mahara for our public school district.  Teachers would like to see some public views of "actual student portfolios".  Does anyone have URLs for examples?

sharon

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

10 January 2009, 13:05

Hi Sharon,

here is a view which is public:

http://elearn.hawk-hhg.de/eportfolio/view/view.php?id=5

Cheers Heinz

Account deleted

10 January 2009, 16:23

Hi,
There's also a few highlighted on the homepage here - an area we want to build upon. Could we use your example Heinz?

cheers
Richard

15 January 2009, 6:58

Hi Richard,

about your question to make the portfolio i posted to Sharon public in te hbestpractice intro i am glad to give you a positive answer.

The guys give me the ok to publish it and here is another view which seems to be interesting because it uses a lot of linked views.

Please send me a notification if you publish the links to these views.

cheers

Heinz

Account deleted

10 January 2009, 20:08

Thank you so much - that gives me something to show (and luckily I can read some German - having lived there for 10 years).

Sharon

15 January 2009, 6:54

Hi Sharon,

here comes another good example how to use mahara:

http://elearn.hawk-hhg.de/eportfolio/view/view.php?id=34

the user has inserted a lot of links to show more "pages" of his portfolio. Feel free to show it to interested people.

cheers

Heinz

Account deleted

15 January 2009, 19:15

Very nicely done - I had not even thought about linking Views together.

Thank you again.

Sharon

Mary Cooch's profile picture

18 January 2009, 8:48

We will be using Mahara via Moodle with a group of students and I was wondering -  public view - is that public to the whole world in all situations? In other words, might there not be a risk of students creating a public view with unsuitable (innocently or otherwise) information? And if so will I have a moderation issue here? I am not saying they will  but I'd like to investigate this possibility further.

18 January 2009, 9:55

Hi Mary,

public means public in WWW.The view is visible by every person in the in web. I think it's important to show the pupils this feature and to discuss with them the dangers.

You may use the secret URL feature in Mahara 1.1 to post a view to people not logged in;

here the attached online help:

Secret URL

If you don't want everyone to be able to see your View, but you would like to show it to a few people who are not registered on this site, then you can make your View visible to the public through a special link which is difficult to guess. You can let your friends know about your View by pasting the link into an email.

cheers 

Heinz

Mary Cooch's profile picture

18 January 2009, 10:02

Vielen Dank Heinz. This is as I thought - public IS public so they will have to be educated as such. I didn't know about the secret url and this will  be very useful to me Smile
21 results