Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Adding Profile Fields

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 January 2010, 14:39

Hi,

I have a question regarding adding more fields to the edit profile page. We wanted to give our users the option to add  their other social networking profiles (i.e. myspace, twitter, bebo etc....). The link that would appear on their profile page would have an icon of the social networking site that they have linked. 

Account deleted

23 January 2010, 0:41

Adding the fields is pretty simple but, I just need a few things answered. We have the social links setup to display the name of the site. I am curios to know how to add an image to the strings in mahara. We have all the icons uploaded to our servers but, have no clue to add them to the strings.

Question two, is there a way to convert a textbox to html. We would like to have the url of the external link clickable. As of now the user must copy and paste into the browser. Eventually we would like to have just the social icon show up on their profile page and when a user clicks on the  icon then they would be redirected to the url.

I hope all of this makes sense to the community. 

Account deleted

23 January 2010, 1:12

Allen,

I look forward to the answer to this as I am curious as well. I have an additional question that goes along with this. On the register page, can you add more fields here? We are an honor society and would like for the person to put in their chapter and institution they were inducted at as part of their registration process.

Account deleted

23 January 2010, 11:51

Hello Christy,

I am sure that adding more fields to the registration page should be as simple as adding fields to the profile page. Once I have completed the social links I will take a look at the registration page and start coding new fields. Once I have worked out the errors I will post the codes and instructions on how to implement them.

Account deleted

23 January 2010, 15:25

Thanks!

Here is another question. Can I use dynamic text in my page texts? For example, after a person has logged in, can I make the text say "Welcome Username" ? I have looked through code on the different pages to try and find the right script, but have been unsuccessful on implementing into the HTML text editor.

Account deleted

23 January 2010, 16:42

The way mahara structure is anything is possible. Doing that is on my list but, haven't had the time to implement it yet. So, I can't give you much advice on how to do it. You could use a function that calls the user id when logged in. In the next few weeks I will be getting to that and when I finish the code for it I will post it in a view. If you get it implemented before then just let me know.
6 results