Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Running Mahara in a cluster

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

17 February 2009, 16:23

You don't need to do anything special for this to work.

When hits reach your load balancer, they'll come in for host 'eportfolio.us.edu'. Your load balancer will forward the request to one of your servers, keeping this intact. So a request will come into 'makapp1' with an HTTP header of Host: eportfolio.us.edu.

All you have to do after this is make your apache serve requests for this hostname, which you can do with a virtualhost and ServerName directive. A quick example:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName eportfolio.us.edu
    DocumentRoot /path/to/mahara/code
    # Other configuration directives you want - ErrorLog, CustomLog, Allow overrides from documentroot...
</VirtualHost>

This will be identical on all your webservers.

I encourage you to read the apache documentation for vhosts and perhaps try to find a tutorial if you need one Smile

Account deleted

24 February 2009, 18:38

Ok,  I have no trouble configuring virtual host having done this before.  I'm starting to wonder if our Load Balances are doing something strange to the headers.

Also,  in the config.php file; then what do you point the "wwwroot" at please?  I currently have it set to "eportfolio.us.edu".  Should this actually be set to "mahapp1.us.edu".  That is, the name of the localhost rather than the name seen by clients?

Account deleted

24 February 2009, 19:33

You shouldn't need to touch the wwwroot. As the hits are coming in for host eportfolio.es.edu, Mahara will use that as the wwwroot, which is correct.

You can set it if you want manually (you'll have to clear the cached one out of the config table in the DB), but you most certainly do not want to set it to the hostname for the machine. WWWRoot is the hostname that your installation is visible at, not the one it's hosted on.

13 results