Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Has anyone done SSO integration with Blackboard LMS?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 December 2009, 7:00

Hi,

I am new to this forum and also to how things are organized here, so if I do make any boo boos, please let me know. TY.

I was asked to explore the setup of mahara and get it to work with our Blackboard. Has anyone had experience with this before? Our main concerns is integration.

I understand that for the "internal" authentication method, it is doing so against a database table. Under http://wiki.mahara.org/Developer_Area/Dev_Team_Ideas, I know API docs is listed as 1 of the wishlist items.

I mainly support java applications with Oracle PL/SQL procedures but I have dabbled abit in PHP in the pass supporting an application on LAMP setup.

How we did the SSO then (from a Java app to a PHP based app) was to have the java module on the app encrypt user information and have the "receiving" PHP on the php app decrypt this via an exec call to a java class and proceed with login from there. This is a workaround / hack, not clean.

Is this approach recommended for SSO to Mahara? If so, which php / library files should I look at and are there any source code examples I can reference?

If not, where do I start extending any of the existing authentication modules (if it is possible) to handle this SSO function?

We are looking at only 1 way authentication into Mahara presently, but will also need to consider life-long access to the application as our students continue to update their e-portfolio and also can return for knowledge upgrading.

Thank you.

Regards,

Lum

Account deleted

14 December 2009, 17:26

Hi There,

welcome to Mahara.org! - the saml plugin Piers wrote recently will probably be of the most use to you - check it out here: http://wiki.mahara.org/Plugins/Auth/Saml

(although it would be really interesting to see mnet implemented in Blackboard!)

let us know how you go! - and make sure you share your results!

Account deleted

15 December 2009, 7:03

Hi Dan,

Thank you. I will see how I do that once I can get my installation of mahara on apache 2.2.14, mysql 5.1.4.1 and php 5.3.1 up and running. 

I had not using a WAMP cos i don't really have much infomration about it. Though it should be pretty straight forward. It might be that some of the required extensions are not working, as it keeps giving me the following in my php error log:

PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in D:\dev\mahara\mahara\lib\errors.php on line 405

Will let you know if I do manage to make sense of saml or if I decide to create a custom plugin instead, again, once i make sense of everything. Right now I am toggling between this and my other duties. :P

I am thinking of a plugin for our LMS to send the authentication information to it directly as i have been told that mahara will be hosted (that is handled by another colleague). If it's just 1 plugin that receives authentication information (and updates user info in mahara) that might be simpler. But I will update, once I get started / have progress. 

Regards,

Lum

Shen Zhang's profile picture

06 January 2010, 18:41

Hi,

We are exploring the options of linking Mahara to our existing LDAP server. We use Blackboard LMS and it's linked to the LDAP server for authentication. Can anyone advise whether we should get Mahara link to the LDAP server via the LDAP authentication plugin or try the SSO integration or try to use saml plugin?

Thanks,

Shen

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

07 January 2010, 17:11

Hi,

if you don't mind that your users need to type their username and password to log in to Mahara, using the LDAP authentication plugin is the easiest way by far.

I've never used the SAML plugin, so I can't comment on it.

Saludos,
Iñaki.

Account deleted

03 February 2011, 15:03

HI All,

I see that most of these posts are old, but I'm curious to find out if anyone has successfully integrated Blackboard and Mahara.

Thank you.

Beth

Account deleted

15 November 2011, 4:01

Hi All,

I am new to Single Singon(SSO).

"Single Sign On (SSO) (also known as Enterprise Single Sign On or "ESSO") is the ability for a user to enter the same id and password to logon to multiple applications within an enterprise. As passwords are the least secure authentication mechanism"

I have experience on struts,springs and hibernate. I worked on normal login apllications.

In my company we are handling two internal projects, one is Leave management system and second one is Lawson.

So please anyone send me the codes on this SSO or send me the steps.

or

send me the links.

Waiting for your response...

Thank you.

B.Rajesh

Account deleted

15 November 2011, 6:20

Hi Rajesh,

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for -- I assume you're trying to integrate Mahara with a Single Sign-On solution, but you don't mention which.

What are you trying to achieve and what are you trying to integrate with?

Regards,

Andrew 

Account deleted

16 November 2011, 2:22

Hi Andrew,

In my company we have 2 internal projects.

1)Leave Management System.

2)Lawson system.

Requirement is whenever we login company credential automatically logged-in to those two applications(LMS & LS).

I never involved in the aunthentication processes.

Please send me any source files related this .Its urgent requirement.

Thanks.

Rajesh

Account deleted

16 November 2011, 3:20

Hi Rajesh,

You don't say what authentication mechanism you currently use. Are you using SAML? Cosign? LDAP/AD? Are you using a social login such as Facebook or Twitter or LinkedIn?

Are you even working with Mahara?

Additionally, in future, please start a new thread rather than replying to an older, and potentially unrelated thread.

Andrew

10 results