Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
utter newbie question 1

Mary Cooch's profile picture

01 January 2009, 9:01

Hello there! My Christmas present to myself was a Mahara to link with Moodle- I'm at home with Moodle but have come unstuck on the very first hurdle of Mahara... I'm used to being able to upload and then insert an image via that icon in the html editor in Moodle but here in Mahara (bit like WP) I only get a box for the url and dimensions... so , not having any step by step instructions I uploaded an image to my files and tried to right click/copy its url to paste in but all I got was a php reference... where am I going wrong here please? Now I know how the Moodle  newbies feel who ask how to upload a single file :)
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 January 2009, 19:31

Hi, sorry for the slow reply, I've been away on holiday.

You can upload and manage files using the 'My Files' section of Mahara, but I guess you already found that.

You can insert images into blog posts too with a bit of magic. Firstly you need to attach a file to the post, using the 'attach file' button below the text box. Once you have either uploaded or attached an already uploaded image from your files area, you are able to use the image icon to attach one of those files.

Unfortunately this doesn't work for forum posts. But I hope that helps you out at least with blog posts.

04 January 2009, 20:17

Thanks for that- I shall get there in the end; just a slow start - but- I cannot see where I am going wrong. I thought I had followed your instructions to attach an image to a blog but it still tells me there isn't one there-I did a screenshot here to give you a clearer view
Account deleted

04 January 2009, 22:15

Oh that looks like the file you attached hasn't been detected as an image. I presume it actually is an image so you might have run into the problem where the 'exec' function isn't allowed on your server. What kind of hosting do you have? Do you have access to a phpinfo screen?

05 January 2009, 8:06

Yes  I wondered that as  have been having the same problem as others in that other post about not being able to upload jpg profile pictures! It's linux hosting and I will check the other details when I am home from work

05 January 2009, 14:36

Hi again Nigel. I have access to my domain but I can't see where the php info is there, However, my Mahara links to my Moodle and they are both on the same domain so would the php info screen for my moodle tell me (or rather, you) what you need to find out? 
Account deleted

05 January 2009, 15:57

Yes, it's the same apache server I presume so same info should apply.

05 January 2009, 16:32

So what do I need to look for? i can't find anything re 'exec 'on the phpinfo screen in my Moodle
Account deleted

05 January 2009, 17:45

A couple of things - firstly is there a 'disable_functions' setting and what is it set to, and secondly is safe mode on?

09 January 2009, 11:54

Hi again NIgel; sorry for delay replying -first week back at work so no time to play! Because php at the moment means nothing to me, here is a screenshot of the whole Moodle php info page if that gives you anything to go by. It is here
15 results