Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Social Networking Thoughts

Mark Pearson's profile picture

31 December 2008, 14:04

Over at the Mahara Demo site (which has a rather different feel to this site it has to be said) I've posted a view called Social Networking Thoughts.

It would be nice for me to be able to display a list of my system Friends in a View like this (maybe there could be a 'display my friendship publically' permission) and also the Groups I manage and am a part of. The 'View' system seems to apply only to owned content -- if combined with  'permissions' one could display group forums postings, friends, etc as a way of building community.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 December 2008, 18:06

Hi. Note the mahara demo site is where people go to have a click around and then likely never come back - I don't think people use it for much more than that Smile. That blog you have might make more sense here on mahara.org.

Mahara 1.1 has 'My Friends' and 'My Groups' blocktypes. Though there's no blocktypes for forum posts - they're not artefacts (at the Mahara code level) so this is not trivially easy.

01 January 2009, 16:56

I would do this Nigel, but when I tried to create a public view for my blog here, I get a message "This View has been submitted to Mahara Community" -- check My Portfolio : My Views. OTOH I can publish my blog to the world from the demo site successfully.So, two questions:

1. What do I need to do to get a public View activated?
  2. What time is it in NZ? I'd like to phone a mate of mine who lives in Waikato NZ (I live in eastern Indiana, USA)

01 January 2009, 16:57

I have just realised that the time stamp on my post is NZ time! Well, duh!

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 January 2009, 19:36

Hi, I just checked and it seems you submitted your 'My Blogs' view to the Mahara Community group. I've released it now so you should be OK to go now.

Indeed, the times on this Mahara install are in NZ time - best time there is! Wink

5 results