Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
Language pack structure

David Mudrák's profile picture

05 January 2009, 16:56

Hey Nigel,

thanks for reviewing the branch. I am sorry for mistakes and obsoletes in the readme. H31nz informed me about it a week ago but I haven't managed to fix it yet. I plan to move readme file to the forever land of git history and replace it with the Wiki instructions asap.

Can you elaborate a bit on the "behaviour things that would be nice to tweak"? I would appreciate your opinion. I would like to prepare the branch to the state acceptable for you to be merged into the master core.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 January 2009, 1:11

Ok, here is a list of some things I found:

• It would be nice if you could choose from the installed, writable languages installed on the site to modify, rather than setting the site language. It gets all confusing when you try to edit the English language pack.
  • When you click in a string to edit it, you can't click out or press escape to get out unless you change the string.
  • The dropdown could show a summary of strings completed/total strings for each file?
  • I'm not sure about its location in the menus, but that can be worried about later when it's closer to a mergable state.

I'll have to use it a bit more to see if there are more things.

I imagine that after our IRC conversation you might be changing the adminlang tool a bit to support 'local' modifications, etc. I think that's the killer feature that would make this definitely mergable to core - if people can chang strings in the an installed language pack through the admin interface without having to have made another language pack.

There's a little bit of work that needs to happen to core first of course, like making language packs install in dataroot etc. I'm working on my bits Smile

01 January 2009, 8:15

Hi David,

Thanks for this page. I "stole" the content to add it to the "Installing Mahara" page.

Happy new year!

Account deleted

05 January 2009, 15:51

Hello,

Yes, I think that the information is clearer now. I will update the documentation in Spanish. 

By the way, is the GNU translation interface included in Mahara 1.0.7? I cannot remember to be asked about the language when I installed Mahara

Regards

05 January 2009, 16:58

Hi Aaricia,

the translation interface is not a part of standard Mahara installation (yet?) You have to checkout a separate branch of the source code to be able to use it.

Account deleted

06 January 2009, 12:53

Hello David,

Apologies for my ignorance but, if I want to test the interface in the Mahara development site-running in Wampserver- for the Spanish language package, does it mean that I have to download it from Git.mahara when you mentioned "branch"? (I am just learning the basic of Git, so I am not familiar with repositories)

Regards

07 January 2009, 17:53

Hi, Aaricia,

sorry, my wrong. adminlang is not only a branch - it is a modified clone of the standard Mahara repository. The adminlang.git itself has got two branches:

"adminlang" branch tracks the main development branch of Mahara and should be used if you want to translate strings for the Mahara master branc (which is where the version 1.1 will be born soon).

"adminlang-1.0" track Mahara's branch 1.0-STABLE and should be used if you want to translate latest stable release of Mahara.

If you want to install my clone instead of Mahara standard one, follow the default installation instructions but use repository

git://git.mahara.org/git/contrib/adminlang.git

instead of standard /git/mahara.git

This is a pretty very different  approach towards SCM system. Basically, every developer keeps her/his own clone of the whole source code history. Changes made in different clones can be sent and merged into the others. That is why git is so called decentralized SCM system.

Hope this helps

Account deleted

08 January 2009, 5:50

Thank you very much for the information.

I will try installing the clone.

Account deleted

06 January 2009, 15:11

Hello  
Not serious possible to install the option of adminlang.git in a version 1.07+ since nosostros uses it in Moodle and I am us very he/she practices for the language conversion.

07 January 2009, 17:55

If I understand your post correctly, then no - there is no way to have adminlang tools integrated in "vanilla" Mahara 1.0.7 or 1.0.8 yet. There is a plan to merge adminlang into the standard Mahara distrobution but a lot of worlk has to be done yet.