Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Restricting Groups creation

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 November 2009, 7:56

Hi there - I'm new to Mahara and we have it set up in our school where students can add their own groups - this is begining to get out of hand and we want to restrict the creation of groups. I believe this needs to be disabled at code level rather than as an administrator. Given that we can't access the code, the hosting providers will need to do this. Can you advise what is the easiest way to do this and can anyone provide the code and the destination details please. Thanks in advance

David

Account deleted

02 November 2009, 17:16

Hi David,

Here is a small patch for Mahara 1.1.7 that will restrict group creation to site admins:

http://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=29852

R.

Account deleted

19 March 2010, 4:33

I have installed latest version of Mahara on keephopes.com and it seems that there although is option to select, who can create groups, yet this still lacks a big feature i.e. how to approve the group.

Although I want users to create groups, but the group should not be available, until and unless its approved by Admin.

Is there a work around for this?

Craig Eves's profile picture

21 March 2010, 19:16

Hi Pravin 

Yes there is a site setting that should be enabled to allow only admins or admins and staff to create groups.

Members would need to request a group to be setup - (may this info could be contained in an institute view and feedback on the view used to request group)

The admin could then create a group and make the requester a member or staff of the group. The admin would still retain the right  to edit the group and also control the type of group that is setup.

regards

Craig

4 results