Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Automate "Lost Password" Function

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 October 2009, 2:46

I apologise if this has already been addressed, but I have been trying all day and can't sort out how to create a password recovery "tool" on the sign-in page. As it stands now, anytime a user wants to re-set a password, they will have to email the support email we have provided and wait for me to manually re-set their password - which has all kinds of bad implications.

I am very much still getting my head around all Mahara offers as I got to the party after the core of our build was completed. It's one of those situations where I haven't done it myself, so it's all new and we are on deadline, so I am troubleshooting without having the background.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks! S.

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

25 October 2009, 4:22

Hi Siobhan,

greetings from Germany ;-)

There is no need to create a password recovery tool. Mahara offers this feature right out of the box.Beneath the "Login" button you should see a link "Lost Username/Password"

After the click you see the following page:

Forgotten your username or password? Help

If you have forgotten your username or password, enter the email address listed in your profile and we will send you a message you can use to give yourself a new password.

If you know your username and have forgotten your password, you can also enter your username instead.

If the users enter their correct e-mailadress they should recieve a mail with the wanted informations.

If the users want to change their passwords manually they can visit "Settings" -> "Preferences" and change the password.

HTH Heinz

Account deleted

25 October 2009, 8:37

Hi Siobhan, Heinz and others:

Greetings from Argentina.

Great answer that of Heinz. Anyway, if you don't want to engage in "lost password" problems you may use Mozilla firefox as your browser. Mozilla has an utility to remember all passwords and usernames, asking you in the right moment you create a new account. Firefox keep the passwords and other stuff encripted. Sincerely. Fred

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 18:44

Indeed, Heinz' answer about covers it Smile. Siobhan - I have a question - were you expecting to find the "forgot password" functionality somewhere and missed it? Maybe we should make it available in more places, or make it bigger?
Account deleted

26 October 2009, 19:52

I should have been a bit more specific =) I definitely see it in my localhost mahara site that I'm fiddling around with, but somehow the person who developed our institutional theme seems to have dropped it out.

Thought? 

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 20:54

Hm. Maybe they modified the theme to remove it? But then again, I thought that login box plus forgot password link was generated in code.

Perhaps get that person to read this wiki page, and see if it helps them?

http://wiki.mahara.org/Customising/Themes

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 23:11

Hehe, if only that person hadn't moved on to greener pastures. Hence, my new gray hairs trying to figure out the intracies on a crazy deadline and less than zero php background.

Making my next question -  after trolling around and coming up empty, is there a way for me to import a new theme via the site administration functions on the web. I've created the new theme, but our site is hosted remotely and I am awaiting access to their system, but I'd like to get rolling on this sooner rather than later. At present, I can edit everything that's not above the gray bar or in the footer. 

And the last one for now - when I am sent a message on the system, I get the email with the link to the message in my subscriber email account and I can access it no problems. However, if I navigate away from the message, there is no way for me to access my "inbox." Problems arise when I am off-site and the team emails me through the system - there is not way for me to check the messages without the link and without access to my organisational email. Is it something else we deleted accidentally in our theme build or was it never there?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Cheers, S.

Account deleted

27 October 2009, 1:11

Nope, themes have to be installed onto the filesystem at the moment. It's not hard, you just need to put the directory in the right place and it'll all work, but it does require filesystem access.

Messaging isn't your theme's problem though - it's a problem Mahara has currently, and one I hope we can fix soon, because not having a way to access your messages is a bit silly Tongue out 

Account deleted

27 October 2009, 1:43

Thanks for all of your help!
9 results