Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
500 Internal Server Error

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 October 2009, 19:58

Hi,

Just joined and have spent most of the day trying to install Mahara, I have run out of ideas, and can't seem to locate what I'm missing.

I went to my error logs and this was the message

home/joblessc/public_html/.htaccess: Invalid command 'php_flag', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration.

After reading the troubleshooting guide I removed  php_flag or php_value from the .htaccess file and then I had the error message:

/home/joblessc/.htaccess: </IfModule># without matching <IfModule># section

So I remove the .htaccess file but I'm still get the same error.

Thanks in advance for any help 

Iñaki Arenaza's profile picture

25 October 2009, 11:42

The second error talks about a different .htaccess file that doesn't look like it is Maharas's .htaccess (as it seems to be outsite your public_html directory)

So review that file carefully and make sure it's got the right syntax :-)

Saludos,
Iñaki.

Account deleted

25 October 2009, 22:02

Thank you for your reply, I found and remove that file this is what was in it.

php_flag register_globals off
php_flag magic_quotes_runtime off
php_flag magic_quotes_sybase off
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
php_flag log_errors on
php_flag allow_call_time_pass_reference off
php_value upload_max_filesize 50M
php_value post_max_size 50M
<Files config.php>
    Order deny,allow
    deny from all
</Files>
<Files .htaccess>
    Order deny,allow
    deny from all
</Files>
<Files lib.php>
    Order deny,allow
    deny from all
</Files>

# HTTP performance. This stuff tested in apache2 only.
# Enable mod_expires, mod_headers and mod_deflate!

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/css application/x-javascript
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header unset ETag
</IfModule>
FileETag None

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
 suPHP_ConfigPath /home/joblessc/php.ini
 <Files php.ini>
  order allow,deny
  deny from all
 </Files>
</IfModule># Use PHP5 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

Now I'm getting this :

Mahara: Site unavailable

Your server configuration does not include the pgsql extension. Mahara requires this in order to store data in a relational database. Please make sure that it is loaded in php.ini, or install it if it is not installed.
I don't see a php.ini  I did find a php init  I'm using a mysql database not sure what pgsql extension is.
Thanks for your help 
Account deleted

26 October 2009, 2:15

Hi Mike,

You may be using MySQL, but you've certainly somehow managed to convince Mahara you're using Postgres, probably by not changing the default setting ;)

In Mahara's config.php, there's a dbhost option. Try setting that to mysql5, and see what happens.

Penny

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 20:54

Thanks Penny,

I missed that in the set-up, that got me a step closer, I'm now getting this error, which I'm sure I missed something else.

Mahara: Site unavailable

Your defined data root directory, /path/to/uploaddir/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist, or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.
following the instruction I created a fold outside the public_html and made it 777,  I don't understand the filesystem path but I tried changing the file name to uploaddir, that did not work so I went into the config php and added it here:
 if it doesn't work for you // then try specifying it here//$cfg->wwwroot = 'http://path/to/uploaddir/,/';
// dataroot  
still have the same error
Thanks again
Account deleted

27 October 2009, 2:30

Hi,

We can't really help without knowing a bit more about your setup.  Maybe you can tell us where you've put Mahara and how (eg did you upload it to something that looks like public_html? did you use ftp? what is your ftp username?  On shared hosts it's usually something like /home/yourusername/public_html)

Failing that,  you can edit init.php and add a line at the top, just after $CFG->docroot is set:

echo $CFG->docroot ; die;  And check in the browser again - that at least will give us the path that mahara has, and then we should be able to figure out your upload directory relative to that.

Account deleted

27 October 2009, 9:08

Hi Penny,

I uploaded using ftp  into the public_html not in a file folder but as the main site, then I created a file as per the instructions that said not to put it in the same location as Mahara, so that data file is in the home location with public_html.

This is a Hostgator reseller account that I have most of my sites on. when I ftp to any of my sites I just ftp to the domain url, the user name for this site is joblessc, it looks like the path should be :   /home/joblessc/uploaddir , or am I way off target.

Thanks for all your help 

Account deleted

27 October 2009, 14:28

Wait - you said you created a file?  You should be creating an upload directory not file.

Other than that, it looks like that path should be right.

Account deleted

27 October 2009, 20:34

Hi Penny,

I really appreciate all you help!

my file manager has its type listed as a httpd/unix-directory

I'm still getting this message:

Your defined data root directory, /path/to/uploaddir/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist, or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.

that directory is set to 777

Account deleted

28 October 2009, 2:15

The error message says /path/to/uploaddir, which means that is what it's set to in your config.php.  You have to edit config.php and tell it your path, which we decided was /home/something/uploaddir right?

If that doesn't make sense, paste your config.php here (make sure to blank out your database password first with xxxxxxx)

12 results