Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Installing with Hostmonster

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 October 2009, 17:19

Actually, I was looking into this issue some more, and it's not a "buggy version of libxml". What actually happend is that PHP was using a libxml internal API to do some parsing, and then the libxml people changed that API, thinking only they were using it. So all the old PHPs broke, and I presume newer (maybe >= 5.3?) ones don't use that API any more.

The other workaround for that problem is to get them to install the expat libraries I think, because then the code uses those to do the job it was using the internal API for. 

I'll let you draw your own conclusions on the stupidity of the PHP developers Wink 

Account deleted

23 October 2009, 0:13

good to know - thanks Nigel!

if enough people make some noise about it, Hostmonster might do something about, but, they haven't been keen to install the expat libs at this stage, so your best bet is to find another hosting provider that is better suited to hosting your moodle/mahara install.

good luck!

Account deleted

23 October 2009, 6:27

Oh! I'm in Hostmonster too...

Well, if you guys find another hosting provider that is better suited to hosting a moodle/mahara install, please, post about it, ok?

Saludos,

A.

Account deleted

23 October 2009, 8:24

Hello,

Keytoschools offer free Moodle and Mahara hosting service, with no ads. However, you cannot customize the installation like with a paid provider.

Regards

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 8:26

I copied and pasted what Nigel mentioned here in a support ticket with Hostmonster.  Here's their reply:

"Xpat is currently supported in our installation of php so this should not be an issue. We currently have expat_1.95.8 supported."

Do you have any other suggestions or questions I should be asking them?  

Account deleted

26 October 2009, 19:14

I would refer them to the bug report: http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45996

I might be wrong about the solution: one commenter says:

"Compiling PHP with libexpat is the correct workaround for now." 

Account deleted

28 October 2009, 10:30

Here's hostmonster's response:

"You can see for yourself that PHP is compiled with libexpat by creating a PHP page called info.php containing this one line:
<?php phpinfo();
What behavior are you seeing that led you to believe this was an issue for your scripts?  What steps can we take to duplicate the issue, including any login information that may be required?"

Any suggestions for a reply?  It's getting way over my head, but it would be nice to get this resolved for hostmonster users. 

Account deleted

28 October 2009, 16:40

Try the linked PHP script in the bug: https://qa.mandriva.com/attachment.cgi?id=10757

Presumably, if you're suffering the same bug, you'll see the same behaviour. That should give them enough information. If you don't see the same behaviour, then you don't have that problem, you probably have a different issue.

Actually, you never said in this thread. What issue are you having with MNET? That database issue you're having where the encoding isn't right has nothing to do with this XML/MNET related issue.

Account deleted

30 October 2009, 13:34

What's the behavior this script is referring to? 
19 results