Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Multiple instances of users being created

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 October 2009, 15:46

Hi,

I'm running v1.1.5 and have a serious problem in that multiple instances of users are being created - I had xmlrpc and ldap authentication switched on and it appeared that if a user logged in via Moodle, then used a direct link to Mahara, a second user (username1) was created.

If I deleted username1, then next time the user logged in username2 was created.

In the mysql, i can see that the original user has the auth_instance of 2 (xmlrpc) and the dupe user has the auth_instance of 4 (ldap). I updated the database so that all auth_remote_user and usr table auth_instance records were xmlrpc. Once this was done Mahara allowed me to delete LDAP as an authenicator.

I thought this had solved it, but it seems that now users that originally logged in via ldap and now use Moodle are being duped instead, even though both auth_instance and lastauthinstance are set to xmlrpc.

Any ideas how to stop this and where necessary merge the two users???

Account deleted

04 October 2009, 18:07

Hi - you probably need to set the LDAP authinstance to be a parent of the XMLRPC authinstance. You can do that by editing the XMLRPC one in the admin section, and changing the Parent field. Then, you should stop getting dupes.

Although, there is currently a bug that means that if you log in via LDAP (the parent) before XMLRPC, you'll then get a dupe if you log in via XMLRPC later. So the key is to make people use the SSO first. I believe this bug is fixed in 1.2 though.

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

04 October 2009, 20:42

We are facing the same problem because of this bug.

Is there any chance please can we have the patch that is applied to Mahara 1.2 for this ?

Account deleted
Account deleted

05 October 2009, 14:43

Thanks Nigel,

The parent was set, so it must be the bug you mention - it's been hard to track down exactly under what conditions the error occurred.

At the moment I'm having to update the auth_remote_users to point to the correct userid whenever the error occurs. Hope v1.2 is coming very soon!  

Account deleted

05 October 2009, 18:10

That's the plan - I'm nearly on top of view import, so there's just a nicer UI for it and some bugfixing to go!
6 results