Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
No installer??

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 September 2009, 19:10

Hi everyone, 

I just got everything set and went to run installer and I can not find it?? Any help please ? I have downloaded the latest version.

Thanks in advance!!

Account deleted

29 September 2009, 21:29

Hi - have you been following the Installation Instructions? What step are you up to?
Account deleted

29 September 2009, 22:05

Hello Nigel,

I have been following these instructions and I just skipped the Appache configuration because I am on a shared hosting server and I am at Run the Web Based Installer. It says "now be able to navigate to the Mahara installation using your web browser." Only it doesn't say what file to point to and I don't have an install.php file or anything??

Account deleted

30 September 2009, 0:07

Ah. Your webhost probably said to you that your site would be available at a certain web address. Maybe you got a domain name, or maybe they've said it's available at http://yourname.hoster.com/ or something? You should visit that, or yourname.hoster.com/mahara or whatever corresponds to where you uploaded the code.
Account deleted

30 September 2009, 10:14

Alright maybe I am doing something totally because what you just replied made no sense to me.  I own my domain and am on a shared hosting plan through hostmonster.com with a linux formatted server.   I uploaded htdocs folder and followed the install directions, my webhost said when I created the database that it atomatically creates UTF8 encoded databases so I did not add the command lines to the data base that the instruction said to.  I then skipped the appache section of the instructions because the instructions stated that id you had a shared hosting account that you should skip that step.  Then it said your are now ready to run the install, point your browser at the installer and follow the instructions.  But it never told what exactly to point to for the installer and there is no installer file that I can find in the download.  I tried just pointing my browser to http://mysite/mahara  and nothing but  a 500 error.

What am I doing wrong??

Account deleted

30 September 2009, 10:38

Comment out (or delete) the PHP code in your .htaccess and see if you still get the 500 error. If so, try removing the .htaccess file all together.
Account deleted

30 September 2009, 10:44

I will try this but I never made to the install portion of this installation.  Going to edit the .htaccess now
Account deleted

30 September 2009, 10:54

Well I commented out all php and then pointed my browser to the mahara directory and got this error.  Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '{' in /home/username/public_html/myhuntingspace/init.php on line 88

So maybe I will just give up on it.  I don't want to but I keep getting stumpped here. 

Account deleted

30 September 2009, 13:16

Hi,

It sounds like you have php4. Mahara requires php5 to run.  You either need to tell your host to let you have php5, or move to a different host.

Hope that helps!

Account deleted

30 September 2009, 13:21

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the response.  I just check in my CPanel and I have php version 5.2.9 installed.  Any other suggestions for me?

15 results