Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Artefact not in view when navigating through folder in view

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 September 2009, 21:06

Hi - what's the URL of your site? Can't log in if I don't know that.. maybe you already posted it and I'm being blind? Undecided
Olaf Perlick's profile picture

30 September 2009, 3:55

Hi NIgel,

the URL is: mahara.bkt-portal.de. It seems to me that the cronjob has to run twice to guarantee acces to the files!

Bets regards, Olaf

Account deleted

30 September 2009, 19:05

Hi. I had a click around. I could create a View with a folder in it, which you could search for, you should have access to the file in it. And I could look around your folder structure and download files in it.

I think what you have come across is simply some internal housekeeping issues that Mahara has. It's really hard to work out whether a given artefact is allowed to be displayed through a view, especially if that artefact is many levels deep in a folder, and so is not directly in a block of the View. Mahara does its best to keep track of what is allowed, but sometimes it might get out of sync, especially if you move folders around. Every minute there is a cronjob to help fix this up a bit, and every day the permissions are rebuilt entirely just to be safe.

In your case, I can't be too sure exactly what is happening, but while the cron job is running, it should be the case that the permissions are made correct quite shortly after any file manouvering - especially if you're using the latest version (1.1.6). 

01 October 2009, 0:18

Hi NIgel,

I haven't moved around the files so far. What I did is to add new folders and files to my files section, and then to my view. I assume that the complete rebuild of the access rights once a day seems to do the job. I have the cronjob running every minute and even over an hour after inserting the files, they are not accessible in the view .

Best regards, Olaf

04 October 2009, 17:32

Hi Nigel,

I tested for some days, and am still experiencing, that it takes till the following day, until the resources I added become visible visible in the view. The cron is running every minute. - It would be very important for us,that freshly added files become instantly visible, if the directory containing them is published in a view.

Thanks, Olaf

Account deleted

04 October 2009, 19:20

Hi - interesting, indeed. So, just to confirm:

You have a folder in a view (let's call it Folder X).

When you add files directly to Folder X in the My Files section - what happens? Are they immediately downloadable in the View, or do you have to wait?

When you add files to a subfolder of Folder X in the My Files section - what happens?

Are you doing anything else to either the folders or the View?

Of course, the behaviour we want is that the files become immediately available in the View, without you having to touch the View at all.

If you can answer those questions precisely, it'll give me a place to start searching the code Smile 

05 October 2009, 2:12

Hi Nigel,

I have to wait (until the next morning), until the files become available. If I add files to a subfolder only the content of the topmost folder remain visible, even all the other stuff contained in the folder in deeper levels become invisible. 

BTW.: is there any possibility to easily keep directory structures in Maharta and on the hard disk in sync?

Thanks, Olaf

Account deleted

05 October 2009, 19:32

Ok, I think that's enough information to investigate, so I have filed a bug report to remind me to investigate.

Regarding your other question, I see you filed a feature request. There's no easy way currently, but it's probably possible using something like WebDAV. 

06 October 2009, 3:42

Hi Nigel,

thanks for all your work! Today I ealized, that some files did not become visible in my view, even after 2 days, so filing a bug seems appropriate for me.

Thanks, Olaf

19 results