Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
LDAP and update details

Yaju Mahida's profile picture

14 September 2009, 22:09

Hi we are using LDAP as authentication for Mahara. I came across one thing that when user request for name change (name error or other reason) the LDAP entry is updated by staff.

But within Mahara this name is not updated and requires to change manually (we have locked first and last name for all).

Can this be done automatically when user logs in ? With every login it should check with LDAP and update the name/details according to that.

I think this can be good/necessary feature request.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 September 2009, 0:56

Yes, it sounds like a good idea - similar to the "update user info on login" flag that the XMLRPC authentication has.

15 September 2009, 17:25

Do you want me to file a new feature request ?
Account deleted

15 September 2009, 22:40

When we can expact this feature ? Will be with 1.1.x release or 1.2 release ?

Please, if you can say tantative time for 1.2 release than we can decide few things about our installation.

Account deleted

16 September 2009, 19:57

Like most feature requests, it will be dealt with as time allows - and that normally means funding is required to make it a priority.

1.2 should be quite soon now, you might have seen we just released beta 2. After it's released, we wouldn't backpatch a feature to 1.1 - unless at the request of a client.

I'm not sure the feature would take long to be honest, so it would be much funding required - you may even have people in your organisation who could do the work Smile 

21 September 2009, 18:22

For updating user info accroding to LDAP, I have started my efforts.

Temporary I am adding a routine in \ldap\lib.php within the function authenticate_user_account which will match the entry of database with LDAP. And if required will update database.

If you can specify  how it should be implemented I will try to implment that way.

22 September 2009, 0:07

I have almost implemented exactly same as XMLRPC.

Still need to do some testings and need to verify other stuff as I did on the fly.

Will get back when it is finished.

22 September 2009, 17:29

Hi I have implemented this and also done the testing. It is working fine just like XMLRPC.

Just one thing I am not checking the email field. There was confusion about to do or not ! Please, give direction about it so I can add this also.

I tried to upload it on eduforge feature request but end up with creating a new feature request. Please, delete this new feature and upload attachment file on original feature request. Seems no privilege to upload attachment for the feature request at Eduforge.

[#3392] 1.2.0.beta3 /auth/ldap directory

https://eduforge.org/tracker/?group_id=176&atid=742&func=detail&aid=3392

22 September 2009, 19:39

The email field is skipped. The reason for this consider one scenario where user have three email addresses. The default email address is within usr table while others are in artefact.

If user decides to make other email as default and leave the ldap email as another email than usr table's email column is updated with this new email address. And ldap email is added into artefact table.

Now, next time when user logs in and update flag is enabled than usr table's email address will be again replaced with ldap one. 

This is unfair as we can't force the user about email preferences. I think this point is not considered.

This is my understanding so far while going through XMLRPC code and LDAP code. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

16 results